Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can't open either end!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Feb 13, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

can\'t open either end!

I can't get my hood or tailgate open!

now I'm frustrated!

When I pull the hood release lever, there's no resistance, like it got disconnected somehow. So how do I open the hood to fix it?

the tailgate doesn't have a key mechanism, and the handle inside doesn't work, there's way to much resistance, like it's jammed or something, but I can't see inside well enough to figure out what went wrong, andy suggestions on either one?

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Re: can\'t open either end!

It sounds like the hood cable is either broken or disconnected at the hood latch. What I would do is make a 'tool' that is sort of L shaped and slide it under the hood so it goes just behind the latch. You should be able to feel the latch mechanism there and then using a little persuasion push it towards the driver's side which will release the latch.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try pulling the release for the hood and then giving the front of the hood a good thunk with the palm of your hand. I have to adjust mine every once in a while, especially after wheeling.

For the tailgate, grab a 1/2" wrench and crawl into the back. At the top corner on each side of the tailgate there are two bolts that hold the latches to the bedside. Unbolt the latches then go out and pull open the tailgate. Once it's open try opening and closing without latches...does it hit anywhere? Often the box sides spread and the thick steel guides will hit or rub. If it goes up and down cleanly open up the access panel and examine the latch mechanism for bent rods and other parts. Repair what you see adn then lube it up real good. If your box sides are leaning outwards you should look into the reason why and fix that. Once the box sides are OK then adjust the tailgate latches and try it out.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

On the tailgate you can take off the access panel on the inside and access the rods that connect to the latches on ether side of the tailgate to get it opened. On the hood it sounds like the cable is broken and you will have to try to reach through the grill with a screwdriver to activate the latch. Let me know if this works.

5. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I've tried taking the panel off the back of the tailgate, but I can't see what's not working/bent, it's not like the tailgate is stuck from a bent box, but that the latching mechanisms jammed

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

There is a rod that goes to each latch that are connected to the handle. You can remove these rods by taking off the clip with a screwdriver and manually pull on each one to release the latch.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For the tailgate, look really closely at the linkage between the handle and the latches. There's an interlock that prevents the latches from opening unless the window is rolled all the way down. It's just a lever that the bottom of the glass pushes when the window is open. Make sure that it is moving far enough to allow the latches to activate.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...