Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't pass smog

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by az-k5, Oct 13, 2005.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well I am a self professed motor moron (seriously I don't do engines).

I took it in last week

--------- loaded --- standard --- result --- idle --- standard --- result
    HC ----- 37 -------- 220 -------- PASS --- 178 ---- 220 ------- PASS
    CO ----- 0.00 ------ 1.20 ------- PASS --- 2.43 --- 1.20 ------- FAIL

Changed plug (gapped @ 37), changed air filter and plugged PCV line (motor drinks oil <- always has)

Took it in today

--------- loaded --- standard --- result --- idle --- standard --- result
    HC ----- 111 ------- 220 -------- PASS --- 530 ---- 220 ------- FAIL
    CO ----- 0.04 ------ 1.20 ------- PASS --- 8.38 --- 1.20 ------- FAIL

I now have a slight miss in the right side of the motor (probably a loose plug wire from a 1AM plug change last night, I can fix that). Is there anything else I can do to make it pass. I have a TBI motor in the back so dropping any money into ignition/carb work is out. It has a Q-jet and is completely stock. Passed fine last year and I have made no mods to the engine/exhaust in the last year.

Thanx

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

From lookin at your numbers it would appear that your motor is gettin a little tired. :( From what I understand, it's probably pretty low on compression so oil is gettin past your rings and it's raisin your hydrocarbons and you can't richen the motor to combat that as your CO is already to high.

You can walk a fine line, like I'm gonna do here real quick, as my CO passed but my HCL failed. I'm gonna change the oil and put some thicker stuff in it (less oil by the rings) and richen it up a tad to help keep the oil on the bottom side of the rings but that'll push my CO up.

This prolly makes no sense to anyone but me, but that's what I'm gonna do. :crazy:

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I run 20-50 for just that reason. I get plenty of oil pressure so I don't want to go heavier (although I might try gear oil if I can get it into the funnel :crazy: :D ). I know the motor is tired but it acts the same. No power loss, no extra oil consumption, no funny starting, just my magic motor.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

from what i always understood, and was told, Hydrocarbons, is excess unburnt fuel, CO's are excess burnt fuel..

i have seen cars go through smog inspections smokin like crazy from burning oil, and pass, they are not checkin the oil smoke content, just the fuel gasses.

5. blublaz

blublaz 1/2 ton status

i always just turn my 2 air/fuel mixture screw in until it barely runs then warm it up like run on the freeway and i always pass..........then i park trun the screws out and drive like nuthing happened

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Number one , you have Hei , right ? Gap it at .045 , not .037 , better spark . Hei is supposed to be at .045 anyway , may burn everything that its missing now :D

Well , you can turn down the apt if your carb is so equipped , but with it stock you have to remove the airhorn , where mine has a plug over it . I cranked mine down to 1/2 turn out ( came shipped 2 turns out ) and dropped mine considerably . After passing I went back to where I liked it at a good compromise between mileage and the 305 getting out of its own way .

7. FWP

FWP CRS

When's the last time you replaced the Cap, rotor and wires and se the timing? Incorrect/ incomplete ignition will cause alot of problems. HTH