Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't remove brake disc from 1987 3/4-ton 4wd Suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by airheadpilot, Aug 24, 2004.

1. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Registered Member

Can\'t remove brake disc from 1987 3/4-ton 4wd Suburban

One of my brake discs is in poor shape - it's heavily grooved and needs to be replaced. I have the replacement rotor and am in the process of pulling the bad one off the hub. I've removed the lockout hub, loosened and removed the locknut, and now I seem to be stuck. There is what appears to be another locking ring with four male dogs at 90 degrees from each other. It has lots of little holes drilled in the surface. I have the special tool and can turn it. It turns with some resistance, but doesn't appear to move down the shaft. I can't see any circlip or snap ring holding it in place. The rotor is now loose and wiggles but is clearly still being held in place by something. The only thing I can see is this locking ring, but clearly I'm clueless on how to get it out. My Hanes manual is spectacularly unhelpful on this point. What am I doing wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks!

Andrew in Belmont, CA /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Can\'t remove brake disc from 1987 3/4-ton 4wd Suburban

Try and grab that locking nut with a pair of needle-nose pliers to be able to see if it is actually coming off the spindle or if the threads on the spindle are stripped. That last locking nut that you are talking about is all that is left to remove to be able to take of your hub/rotor assembly /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. airheadpilot

Got it - thanks! I missed the groove for the lock ring in all the grease. Once I cleared that out it became obvious. Now I just need to find a local shop that can press the rotor off the hub and press the new one on.

Thanks!

Andrew in Belmont, CA /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

big f'ing hammer and a big diameter punch and the lug studs will pop right out and back in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. airheadpilot

Really? (!) Is that all that holds the rotor to the hub assembly, or do I also need to do something else to separate the two?

Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well, the rotor is held onto the hub via the lug studs if that is what your meaning.

7. airheadpilot

Thanks - I didn't realize that. I couldn't see whether it was also pressed on to the main circumference of the hub. I appreciate the advice and should be able to whip it out this afternoon after work. Sucks being a neophyte sometimes...

Thanks!

Andrew