Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cant shift to 4 Low

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dandwg, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Hello all,
    I am having a problem shifting to 4 Low. We went wheeling a while back, and while I was on a steep hill (parked) I went to go in reverse ande when I did, I heard a load CLANK sound. Sooon after that I tried shifting my transfer case down to 4 lo, but I could not force it to go all the way down. I removed my front driveline when I got home (it was practically bent) Even without the front DL I still could not force it down to 4 low.
    I am not sure what the problem is. My thinking is that it is either one of these:
    1: Trrnasfer case fried up, melted the gears inside.
    2: Body lift shifted not letting my shifter move freely.
    3: I might need to disconnect shifter and reset set it beccuase it skipped a gear from forcing it down.
    4: I need to eat my wheaties and force it with a BFH /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ANy more ideas will be gladly appreciated. I could take some pics if any visualls needed, thank you all in advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

SInce you said you had a body lift, I'd look to see if it's hitting due to that. Have someone try to shift into 4lo while you are under lloking at where the shifter goes through the body. I'd check that first.

Good Luck!!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SInce you said you had a body lift, I'd look to see if it's hitting due to that. Have someone try to shift into 4lo while you are under lloking at where the shifter goes through the body. I'd check that first.

Good Luck!!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ive had that problem... put a 3" body lift on.. put truck into 4h or 4l .. one all the way forward and the other all the way back... had to slam it in.. cuz the shifter hit the metal... then sometimes.. flexin the cab would bump it out of range.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sawzall fixed that on my truck.