Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't sleep, should I buy this Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Little Giant, May 6, 2002.

1. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

Can\'t sleep, should I buy this Blazer?

Okay, got a phone call today while I was at work (err, last night really). A friend spotted an '88 K5 in the paper and knew I was looking for a TBI Blazer.

So I call the guy. '88 Blazer, 4spd, 350 (new motor at 90,000 miles), 130,000 miles on it. Has aftermarket wheels with 31x10.5 (woopee right?), roof rack, nerf bars (probably cheesy, the guy never takes it off pavement), very straight body with minor rust at the tailgate.

He said a neighbor came over and told him it was sold on Tuesday, for his asking price of 5k. Now, he told the guy if someone shows up with money first they get it. So I'm going to look at it tomorrow after work. But if I want to be serious about it I need to have 5k cash ready to go.

Now I know he's high in price, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a fuel injected Blazer around here. Hasn't been one in the paper for a couple months. Saw a '90 in town at a dealer, they wanted $7,995 (I hung up on the salesman at that point).

I'm thinking I just might talk myself into running to the bank tomorrow. A TBI 350 4-spd Blazer is exaclty what I've been looking for. Is this thing took spendy and too clean to start a build up on? I want a serious offroader thats still fair for daily driving if I chose. I've got a 14bFF and D60 floating around under some of my other trucks.

UGH...its 3am here and I can't sleep thinking about this damn thing!!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Can\'t sleep, should I buy this Blazer?

Sounds like you already talked yourself into it. Sounds like a good set up. Might be new enough to have hydrolic clutch also.
    5K sounds reasonable if the tub is rust free. That truck will have the glavanized body. Good as far as rust is concerned but they had some paint problems in those years. Rusting tail gates is pretty normal accross the board.
    Two weak points is the axles and the 208. 208 is not that bad. They will take plenty of abuse. Down side is slip yoke and no kit available to convert it to fixed yoke. The other is the axles but sounds like you got that covered.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

actually there is a little bit of a conversion available for a 208 slip yoke...you can find a dodge 208 and switch the output shaft into the chevy 208...with a little modification you have a fixed yoke 208.

check with K10ANDYKHAMNIC...i know he did it on one of his trucks...hes even got pics of it

Later

4. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

Thanks for the input. The t-case may not be an issue either. My brother has a 465/205 combo sitting in his basement out of an '80 (I think). Assuming the 465 casings didnt' change, that 205 and adapter should bolt up right?

Not sure about the paint. Its one tone white, I think the issues were with the darker colors? Not really sure. I can deal with flaking paint as long as the body is rust free though.

So 5k isn't necessarily unreasonable. Now I'm really giving it thought.

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

A 5K-K5.
    The numbers work together.