Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can't spin tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

So, I was wondering what the deal is with my father's truck. He has a 99 ram 2500 v10, 33's, stock everything. My question is why can't we spin the wheels when going up a hill? The truck starts up the hill, then stops just a little way up. The accelerator is mashed to the floor, but the tires won't spin. The motor just revs...he has 3.55 gears with an automatic. I knwo he has the power with the v10, so I thought it might have something to do with the computer? Thanks

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It could be a couple of things. Is the truck in 4wd? It would be close to impossible to spin the wheels in 4wd if each wheel is getting equal traction. How about Overdrive? If it is in OD, try switcing it off and see what happens. It also might just be too much for the truck. My Blazer when stock used to do stuff like that on hills. Almost get to the top, and just bog down with no wheel spin (at the time I think I had a timing/fuel problem).

Hope that helps. What are you trying to do anyway? Just wanna spin some wheels for fun, or are you tryin to make it up that hill?

I know a surefire way to solve all your current and future probs, drop the Dodge and get a K5. That trick works EVERY time. :wink1:

Al

3. Kyle Strong

We want to climb the hill, not just for fun. It is in 4lo or 4hi, and the overdrive is on, haven't thought about switching it off, will give it a try. And it should spin the tires, it's got a crap load more power than my blazer, and I can spin the tires all day, and I only have a 350

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

See, I told you the K5 fix works!:haha:

I'm thinkin it might also be a Traction Control issue. Does it have a T/C system? The computer would keep the truck from getting wheelspin.

I agree, that Dodge should be smokin those tires!

5. Kyle Strong

The only t/c is a factory limited slip rear...he's almost fed up with it and is thinking of going with a 67 GMC like he used to have! :wink1: