Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can't turn the key

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kw48653, Sep 19, 2005.

1. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

well, darn key won't turn backward to turn the truck off.

anyone have this happen and if so, what did you do to fix the ignition?

fyi, there is a lot of juice flowing through the center wire off of the distributor. 7 inches of lift and 35's makes quite a trip to the ground when that spark jumps!

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

you can replace the ignition switch i had to on my 87 3/4 ton. it's not too hard

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It happened on my crew cab last summer, for me it was a bad key cylinder. With mine everything was fine, no rough movement in the key action or anything. Just one day when I got home from work I couldn't turn the truck off because the key was stuck in the run position.

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

so how did you turn it off? Kill it and carefully remove negative bat cable?

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I was "lucky" with mine - I have dual tanks but one pump is bad so I just flipped the switch to turn off the motor and then carefully disco'd the neg cable.

6. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

OH boy. I once had the problem of not being able to turn off the truck. Turns out the tumbler was jamed. So after i finally got it home, i had to figure how to turn it off. Removing the negative side of the batter wouldn't kill it i figured since the alternator was powering the motor with a charge so i figure pullin the plug wire off of the coil was the best bet. So i grabed a pair of pliers, not realizeing that the the rubber grips had cuts in them. Once i pulled the wire, i got intire shock form the engine. What a golt i got. Shot me clear off the front of my truck and into the yard. OUCH.!!! But atleast i got it turned off :Dee

7. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

I guess I got lucky when my ignition switch went bad, turned my blazer off and a while later I went to start it and the ignition wouldn`t turn at all, ended up replacing the ignition switch and all was good again.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I usely install a ignition kill switch up under the dash of most of my vehicles. More as a anti theift thing, but would have been great too shut it down if the key was jammed.