Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cant wait for this movie.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Sep 11, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Being a Marine grunt and miltary history buff, I've been waiting for this for years...

[​IMG]

As soon as the lights came up on Saving Private Ryan, I knew a film about Iwo could be made in Hollywood.... and to have Clint at the helm, well... expectations are higher than high.

Can't wait until the day it comes out... I've read the book the flick is based on, and several other books on Iwo also. Personally, I would have much rather (from a self-preservation point of view) have landed at Normandy. Iwo was pretty much as bad as it can get for a landing... and the guys who pulled that off are truly giants.

What say you CK5 members? Hope this movie opens up and rakes in huge coin.

j

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looks like a winner. :waytogo:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks great. Having toured the D-Day Museum several times I can honestly say that I would not have wanted to be at any landing.

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

iv never herd of it but think i will go find the book :D

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My old next door neighbor (RIP Gene) was at Normandy. Told of their first supply air drop being nothing but chocolate. Later made those who saved some popular with the native women.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That looks like a winner to me.

Hey Jek, I agree from what I read that Iwo had to have been extremely tough. I saw something that had an actual ratio on Iwo, about marines lost vs ground gained. Something along the lines of 1 marine died for every inch gained, or perhaps even more staggering numbers. You ever see that, or know what it is?

I hope the film can do justice to the memories of those those who fought and died there.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So when is it supposed to break?

8. jekbrown

I've never seen it broken down that way... I do know that 90% of the guys that made up the initial assault landing force never walked off the island under their own power. Its a cliche for big nasty battles and landings... but in this case I actually believe it.... 'On Iwo, every Marine who landed was a casualty.'

Read a great book on Iwo once... forget which one. Anyway, favorite story...

Some Marine squad did an assult over some open terrain, their objective being to move up into some battleship-gun craters that would be good cover and provide a good launch point for the next attack. Anyway, hidden japanese machine guns hose/kill all but 2 friends who make it to a big 16" gun crater. One of the two is shot in both legs and is bleeding to death in spite of field dressings and such. His friend tries to get out of the hole and run for help... but lots of MG fire keeps him pinned down. A run would have been suicide, so his bleeding friend convices him to wait for dark, which he does. Dark comes and the healthy guy bolts for friendly lines and makes it. Just about the time he has some buddies and medics together to head back, the japs spring a bonzai charge and pandamonium ensues. As it turns out, they can't try again until morning, when air strikes/naval gun fire has cleared some of the positions in front of them. They rush up to the hole and there's this guy's buddy... bled to death. Inside the gun crater with him are 4-5 dead Japanese guys, most of which have .45 cal holes in them... one has a bayo stuck in 'em.

:usaflag:

In all of WWII, Marines earned 80 Medals of Honor... 22 of those were on Iwo alone... and a lot more could have been fully justified.

j

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When the whole squad is dead there is no one to to tell the storey.

And I will go see that one on the big screen.

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have read the book and I am waiting for the movie. I can only hope that the movie is as good as the book.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I haven't read the book, but know much of the history. One day on Iwo made the war on terror look like a kids game. One can only hope that this movie does the fine men that took the island an honor, Marines and sailors alike. Semper Fi.

John

12. jekbrown

yeppers. I learned a lot about Iwo talking to my mom's dad. He was a Navy guy and saw a lot of action in WWII. His 1st ship, the Chicago (cruiser) got blown right out from under him. He was near Guadalcanal for a while, and was present when Japanese destroyers fanned out torpedos one night and kicked the crap out of the good guys.

At any rate, he ended up being a crew guy on a amphibous assault ship (LST? LSD? forget, I ain't a squid) off the coast of Iwo. He saw the Marines leave.. could see some of the action from his ship... and he saw broken bodies coming back. Even he, as a WWII vet who saw lots action and death, thought of the guys who hit that beach as giants among men. There seemed to be a certain sense of awe about those Marines and there is no question in my mind that they earned it.

I'm definitely gonna buy that movie poster too... every once in a while I get a movie poster if I really like it. I have a super cool Matrix Revolutions poster and a few others too. This will be a good addition to the collection..

j

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

IMDB shows nothing on this movie. Where's a link?

14. jekbrown

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Wow. I searched for Iwo Jima. :doah:

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This one will get my money.

17. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks, I haven't seen anything about this one. Looks like I will be seeing this ine as well. Might as well head out and pick up the book this afternoon.

Hopefully it's better than the last one that was made into a movie, for which I will not name it..........

18. jekbrown

Apparently Clint kept the author around for filming... so it ought to stay true to the book. If Oliver Stone or some clown was doing it, I'd be more worried than excited. Lets face it, this will probably be the only Iwo movie made for at least 10 years... Hollywood would find another battle if they wanted to cover the Pacific war again, so hopefully it won't be a **** up. I believe Clint will get it right... only time will tell though.

The book follows the personal story of each flag raiser from pretty much birth right up through death (last one died in 1994, the navy guy). Its a good reminder that huge battle scenes look cool on screen, but in reality every single individual (on both sides) has a personal story. Big arrows or huge computer-generated melees don't convey that at all.... the book does.

I'll definitely be there opening weekend... IMO every American should be.

For those interested in the numbers...

Total US guys killed on Iwo: 6,821

Total US guys wounded (real wounds, not chicken**** John Kerry bullcrap): 19,217

Total casualties overall: 26,038

That all happened in just 36 days of fighting. Thats over 700 men a day. Something to think about next time some hippy tells you were are getting out butts kicked in Iraq or Afghanistan. Iwo was a victory in spite of those losses.

The group that raised the flag were from Easy Company. 310 men landed on Iwo... 50 walked off. 7 officers landed with them, 1 lived.

Their battalion (2nd) had a total of 1,688 men. Of these, 1,511 were killed or wounded. Only 177 walked off the island. And of the final 177, 91 had been wounded at least once and returned to battle.

Tells you something about the metal of these folks. IMO the WWII Marine could never be beat in a battle. You could kill them all if you had enough firepower and men, but they would pretty much fight to whatever end. In the case of WWII, that would be unconditional surrender of the japs.

In front of a Marine cemetary on Iwo is an inscription:

When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

:usaflag:

j

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

The book was great, cant wait for the movie

20. jekbrown

saw the movie today... unbelievable. This is clearly the best Marine movie ever made and is a strong contender for the best war film ever made.

After seeing the entire thing, what I like the most about it is that its probably the most accurate film (of any genre) ever done about real people. Stuff isn't made up to make the story "better"... things aren't sugar coated... its the truth... and its the real life stories of real American heros. If you have 2 hours and 10 mins to spare this weekend, go see this movie. Its one for the ages.

j