Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Canvas Doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hey, does anyone know if there's anyone that makes or sells canvas doors for a k5? I want to make the quick disconnects for the doors eventually and maybe put in the tube doors while they're off. :D it'd be cool to leave the doors out for the summer and just throw some of the canvas ones in. It seems people offer the tube doors but I haven't seen anyone offer canvas doors to fill in the whole door in case it rains. Thanks.

2. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

hmmm...interesting idea :laugh:.

I think my solution is going to be rhino lining the floor and putting in weatherproof seats, but I'd still be interested just out of curiosity if someone figures out a way to make these!

3. gauder

gauder Banned

How about some snaps on the tube doors and some corresponding snaps on some canvas?

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Here are the doors on my old K5. I cut out the stock doors and welded in 1 3/4 hrew. I left 2-3 inches of door surround that I was going to use as a frame and screw snaps into for soft doors. I went and talked to a convertable top maker who said he said he would be able to sew in plastic windows and everything for around $300

[​IMG]

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Do a design rip-off from the JEEP crowd, except please do not use VINYL, maybe oiled canvas in dark Brit green.:haha:

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I plan on putting canvass inserts in my half doors. Use cold front 1/4 turn clamps tp hold them on the doors

7. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

We do removable door plates on our tube doors. A customer mentioned mesh add ons, but canvas sounds much better.

Jesse

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go to a boat top maker after you make a frame:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That "windjammer" fits better but I just stuffed it in for the pic. Normally it straps in similar top the bikini top. The doors come apart like a Jeep's or you can unzip the windows-well you could until I broke one of the zippers. the first pic the top half is off the second its on.

I got them from a guy named Robbie several years ago. I don't remember his name on here, but his truck used to be on the "projects" page. It started as an '80 (i think) that was red & white, and he cut the top off and painted it green. Then he boat sided it, had the doors done, and painted it flat black.

I wheeled with him twice that I remember and got the soft parts when he parted it out.