Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cap frustration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hi. Couple weekends back it hit 74 around here so I had my cap off for the first time. When I went to put it back, i lifted the front piece to get it over the lip on the cab and slid it forward till the pegs in the back went into the cap holes. Everything looked 100%.. but only the last two holes in the back were straight thru, the rest of the holes along the side were offcenter. How the heck does that happen?? I'd figured if it was gonna be offcenter they'd all be off.

We tried reseating it 4 times to no avail. Now it's just held on by the cab bolts and two in the rear. Augh.

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Try to get bolts started at the front and work your way back. Use a brass dowel to line up the holes as you go. Get them all started and then tighten them down. Hope this helps.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If I understand what you're saying correctly, it's pretty easy to fix. Before you put the top on, you need to use one of your bolts (or a screwdriver or whatever) and move the "floating nuts" (for lack of a better word) to the center of the holes. What happens, is when you take the top off and take the bolts out, those "floating nuts" move all over the place, so when you put the top back on they never line up right! After you center them all, you should be able to get the bolts in when you put the top back on. At the very least, they will be close enough for you to slightly move them to where you need them to be.

Hope that helps...

Keith

So Cal Big Dawgs
    President

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the nuts move around. Just use a tiny screwdriver or awl to move them back into alignment with the holes in the top. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...