Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cap...??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by xchevyxtc, Aug 7, 2001.

1. xchevyxtc

xchevyxtc Registered Member

My lights in my car dim when my two 12's powered by a 500a2 rockford...bump.....i suppose i need a cap..thats what everyone tells me....so which one??and how do I know??i have a eclipse head unit...a menace 400 watt amp powering my mids and the rockford powering two punch xlc's in a bandpass box...any help would be appreciated...thanks

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

73k5 i think has a cap he is wanting to sell.. But you want something around a 1 farad cap max volt being 24 not 20... But check with him he has one that is new in box and well worth the cash..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The "rule of thumb" is to buy 1 farad for each 1000W of power your system has....500W systems need 1/2 farad, 2000 Watt systems need 2 farads, etc.

By the way....initially it DOES seem cool to be able to dim your lights to the "beat" of the music, but if the lights are flickering like that you may only have something like 8 - 9 volts powering your system. The output of your amps will be WELL below their factory rating (since they are probably spec'ed at 14.4V) and the bass will be flabby and sloppy-sounding. Adding a stiffening cap to your system will dramatically clean up the sound and the available power will be dramatically better.....not to mention, you'll actually be able to drive at night with the music on [​IMG]

Prem, What's the deal with 20V vs. 24V? I've seen some caps offered at each voltage rating. Is 20V just not enough operating margin in a 14.4V car audio system? Just curious.

-Greg72

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a guy locally here about caps and he explained that on a 20v max cap it cannot recharge itself fast enough and supply enough power to the amp when it needs it after a given amount of time.. I have to agree.. if you are buying a cap then there is a reason for this... More then likely you are driving around with a massive system and/or you are driving around with it cranked up on a normal bases... The 24v max also have a higher min. to them also if i remember right.. Basically running a 20v max under normal operating condistions will be fine.. BUT most out there run there system harder and require that extra power there so they dont start to draw on the battery and cause the dimming effect... Also the 24v are only a couple bucks more then the 20v setups... I will get ahold of the guy tomarrow and post a more techincal setup then what i am giving here...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Prembird is right. I'm trying to get rid of a Stinger 1 farad cap with voltage readout on the top of it. New in the box with the mounting brackets, manual, resistor to charge and discharge it....everything you need. I haven't been to a Stinger dealer in forever, but I'm pretty sure these caps sells for $180-$200. I'm asking $120 for my cap which INCLUDES shipping charges to anywhere in the USA.
    I've sold amps to a couple other guys on this board that can vouch for me.....that I won't take your money and run. I'm going to wait another week and if I haven't sold my cap yet, then I'll probably just put it on Ebay.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Prem, I look forward to you talking to that guy again about the difference between the 20V and 24V max caps. What he has told you so far doesn't sound quite right...at all. All caps charge and discharge very quickly...just because thats what they do. I can't believe that there could be any kind of noticable lag between the two. The second thing I don't know about is whole thing I guess. [​IMG] That specification deals with how many volts that cap can safely handle...it doesn't have anything to do with its charge/discharge time. 24V caps ARE better, but for another reason. Most of the lower value caps are more vulnerable to voltage spikes and can get damaged easier. It makes sense that a cap that can tolerate more voltage would be more resistant to voltage spike problems.
    I guess just tell the dude what I said and see if he can give you anymore details on what he has already talked about.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

its been a long time since i talked to him but i remember that if you buy one you want the 24v max ones... like i said.. i will talk to him today and go over it all again....

Prembird

8. xchevyxtc

thanks for all your great info...well then 73k5 is the cap you are selling a 24 or 20 volt according to prembird...i want a 24 volt cap and I have never heard of that brand do you have a picture of what it looks like and how much room i will need to mount it???..thanks for all of your information....and i will be looking forward to a reply soon!!!....thanks again...xchevyxtc

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, I guess I forgot to mention that part. Of course my cap is the 24V one...I don't mess around with the cheap stuff either. Stinger has been around forever...they're more popular for accessory stuff though like power cable and RCA's, distribution blocks, etc. Give me your email address and I'll send you some pics of it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Stinger makes good quality caps... The price he is asking for it is very resoniable... If i could afford to buy it i would but it sound to me like you might need it more and im not ready for it yet... As for hooking them up.. its easy to do...

Prembird

11. xchevyxtc

thanks for all your info prembird and 73k5...i reallly appreciate it..i hate going into shops asking questions looking like an ignorant ass and then getting sold some piece of [censored]...thanks again...and 73k5 i sent you a pm....xchevyxtc

12. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

notta problem.. anytime..

Prembird