Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

capacitor charging

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

May 27, 2003
    i just got a cap the other day and am i little fuzzy on how you charge it. on the installation "notes" it says to avoid sparks use a 5 watt resistor. it came with this little light buld looking thing with two wires sticking out of it. i think that is the resistor. so how exactly do i use this?
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001
    Install the cap wherever it's going in the vehicle, connect the ground wire you your chassis ground spot.

BEFORE you apply the positive lead to the cap, you want to slow-charge the cap using that small resistor....simply place it inline with the power wire and the + lead of the cap. Use a pair of pliers to hold it.....that resistor will get HOT as it charges the cap!!!! It's sometimes easier to also have a voltmeter measuring the voltage across the cap as you do this.....then you'll know when the charging is complete.

REMEMBER: Once you have a fully-charged CAP in your system you will ALWAYS have power in your electrical system regardless of whether you disconnect your battery or not. You can create some really great sparks by forgetting that and working on electrical stuff later on....!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif