Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Capacitors

Discussion in 'Audio' started by '73 K5, Jun 8, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One of my friends just totalled his car, and a 1.5 farad cap was in the back when the wreck happened. It has several dents on the bottom and sides of it. How tough are these things? Any idea if this one might survive? I know how to test it, but I was just curious about the "long haul."

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

caps are alot like batteries.. they hold a charge... i dont think the couple of dents will hurt anything.. depending on how bad it is.. i would test it and see if it is still good and if it is i would use it.. depending on how bad the dents where...

Prembird

If it aint loud then turn it up!

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, thats what I was thinking about, but then again, I don't know if its going to be as tough as an Optima or its going to act more like a WalMart battery.
    I was trying to think back and out of the bazillion caps I've installed, I don't think any of them were ever damaged like this one. Thats why I wasn't sure. I'll let the guy test and and hold onto it for a few days...see if it holds the charge for a while.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is it leaking any oil? Do car caps have oil in them to aid the dielectric?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes they have oil in them, and It should hold a charge until it is dishcarged. I am sure the cap is fine. I have to disagree, a cap is really nothing like a battery. The charge that a battery has can start a vehicle, the charge that a cap holds lasts only for a millisecond. Unless ofcoarse it is the new Alumapro 15 FARAD cap, that damn thing will run a set of lights for something crazy like 45 seconds. Anyways, I am sure the cap is fine.

[image]http://www.darkknight.ca/images/dklogo.gif[/image]
    http://autotronixcaraudio.com