Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Capn Insano meets Sawzall (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Dec 11, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I finally got the nerve up to do it, will get the back plate, tailgate, and bumper designed this week and next weekend. As well as some filler panels for the wheelwells. Personally I love it so far. I used a metal blade circular saw, a sawzall, and a jigsaw in different places. Will do a write up once it's finished if anyone's interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

dude,,,that thing looks way awesome!!!! i've always wondered what that would look like,,,when you get finished i'd like to know what,where,when,and how,,,,i know why!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Bryan,
    Looks Sweet! Must say, a balzy move cutting off so much sheetmetal. Shouldn't have any future problems with the tires rubbing. - Jay

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well it looks like in jan i should be able to afford new rubber and I think I'll be going with 38's. Either 13/38/16s on all four corners or else 13/38/16 TSLs on front and 37/13/16 Boggers rear. I just need to find out true height for both type tire. That's with only a 4" lift. It's almost running too, trying like heck to make end of Febuary for The Canadian River Sand Drags.

Bryan

Thanks for the kind comments...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Very, very nice and yes I would like a write-up, that's front page material. I will hook ya up with stickers and a t-shirt when I get them. (bribe)

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You want a write up on the couch I'm gonna make out of the cutoff part too? It's gonna be fully custom with working taillights and a tailgate to boot. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Man I've been needing stickers for a while...and a t-shirt? WOW. I'll even do one on my half doors too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You got the big juevos, amigo. Man, that does look cool..........can you say departure angle? Wow, wish I had a trail only truck I could modify like that (or mine if I had the nuts! Seriously neat.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your the first as far as I know to bobb a Blazer! Totaly cool!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Uhhhhhhh we will see how things go next year hehehe.
    So what are you going to do about fuel tanks? Side saddles or custom? Hmm Bobbed tank? hehehe

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How much did you cut out in the rear? Hmm, I have a sawzall and a Blazer, I think I will practice on Steve Watson's Blazer first. [​IMG] sorry Steve

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

11. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i saw one of these last year at bloomsburg monster jamborie here in Pa..,,,but it was a "tuff" truck and it was just hacked... thought about doing it,even asked some people about it but they all thought i was crazy!!! not even my buddy in body shop thought i was in my right mind!!!guess they were all wrong!!! your rig looks really nice and i kick myself for not doing it when i should have!! oh,well,,,somebody has to follow the leader,,[​IMG]!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I cut 12-1/2" off the bed and the rear of the hangar is about 1-1/2" behind that. I did that in order to be able to mount my x8000i rear winch a little further into the truck and try to eliminate any chance of messing it up.

I will be designing a fuel tank with a belly sump that is approx 48x22x7" which is 32 gal plus the sump. My main problem is with the pickups, I'm not really sure where to put them. guess If I make the sump steep enough, it won't matter with just one in the middle. We'll find out. I'm putting in baffles, a fill and vent on the drivers side. I'll cut the fuel filler and door off my parts truck and graft it in. Going to try to use the stock fuel pump and stock location hoses. It will sit in the bed and I may end up cutting a hole for the sump, then reinforcing that. The tank will be out of 16 ga ribbed stainless steel.

Bumper will be mounted with a bracket welded to the fram and to the bumper. 3x5 x3/16" with a 1/4" winch plate. Lights in the bumper as well as a rear mounted x8000i winch and a tire/jerry can rack and rear flood/backup lights.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

13. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

why don't you put on a hitch/reciever winch??? might be a little easier to fab the hitch..

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah I'd thought about that K5 king. But I really like having the winch tucked out of the way, not as likely to be stolen, and a real pain to store in a blazer like mine with very limited storage space NOW. I was offered that little 8000# winch for a good price AND I get to finance it so I jumped on it. I really don't think it'll be up to heavy duty use but I figured it'd make a good backup. Therefore it's going on the back. The whole reason for bobbing the truck is to lose the overhang, I don't want to add to it with a winch. And I hate trying to lug a 70 pound winch thru a 3' mudpit from the back of my truck to the front bumper, plug it in, try to slide it into the reciever that's caked with mud, dropping the pin, digging thru the mud to find it, getting incredibly muddy in the process, and then finding it, putting it thru the hole, and winching out. NO NO NO. I want it to be there on demand all the time. I plan to get a xd9500i for the front when funds permit.

I have a buddy with a sami with a 5000# reciever mounted winch, but while it has it's good points, I don't think it's for me.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

15. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

either way you'll still get mud in your shoes,,lol!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Looks sweet, Bryan! I must say that you are building one sweet ride! One question - I remember many years ago watching a "Tough Truck" contest, you know the one where they drive around over the jumps and stuff in beat up old trucks, and I remember seeing a Blazer with Capn Insano written on the hood. Would that be your truck or just somebody else with that cool name? Just wondering...

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

haha, not in north carolina, but I raced tuff truck in west texas/eastern new mexico for a few months. Started out in my '83 toyota and then raced the blazer a couple of times. Wouldn't have been in Lubbock would it???

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You have the bigger set of grape fruits then I do. What are you gonna do for a back end?

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The back end will be really similar to this, but the lights will be in the bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

20. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

Bryan,
    That is awsome. I love what you did to the fenders. How did you deside where to trim them. Did you take measurements or did you use reference points. Also what are you going to use to line the inside of the fender.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!