Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Capreting your dash....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, May 8, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Im thinking about doing it to mine. My dash has been spray painted black and the paint is chipping off and the original color of the dash does not match the interior. or is there an better way to spray paint the dash so the paint will not peel? here is a picture i found but its on a toyota.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Spray paint is not the best quality paint out there. So prep is more crucial to spray paint then enamel or what ever. If you mask everything off and take it down to the body shop, then they'll prolly shoot it for cheap. The majority of the cost in body work is prep and masking it off. Carpet might look cool and such, but it will prolly get dirty real fast and hard work to get it to look that good cause it has to be cut perfect and god forbid you spill something on it! If it's just the top that's chipping, put some clear fingernail polish on the chipping parts and get a carpet dash cover (50 bucks). They just cover the top.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am recovering my dash right now as we speak. I tried to cover it with the fuzzy auto carpet from the auto parts store and it is so stiff it will not bend to the contours of the dash very good so I had to cut seams in it and it looked bad. I just stripped all of the old dash off and sanded it to the metal. I am going to re cover it with foam and use tweed. Tweed is softer. I am going to finish it tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes and maby have a picture.
    Brent

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

is there a special paint for plastics? This person who owned the truck before me must of really loved spraypaint because the paint on my dash bezel is chipping off to and is like bubbled in areas where i think the paint did not want to stick but they just kept on spraying it on. Anyways it really looks bad and i was wondering if there was a primer i could spray on and use first like for my dash and my bezel to make the spraypaint stick? thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Look for Mar Hyde paint. Its made specifically for auto interiors.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

would checkers or pep-boys sell Mar Hyde paint or like a paint store like frazee paint?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

My brother did it on his 82 2wd all he did was take the dash of sand the dash a little bit and he used 3m spray adheisive he was putting tweed on it all you do is spray on adhesive then after 2 minutes out another coat on then stick tweed on there press flat and the hard part is doing the sloped part do that first after that dries do the rest i made it sound easy but time and paitence get it done

8. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

If you go to Wal-Mart they have carpet for $7 a roll and it is pretty flexible. I'm using it to carpet my car and it is working great. It wraps around my rear panels and everything else nicely.
    Crazylarry

9. 87BIGBOY

87BIGBOY Registered Member

Tweed is easy to use but you usually need to have it reversed stitched to look real good. They mak plastic dye for interiors that you can usually get from a body shop or local parts store (Depending) and you can dye trim pieces, dashes and other plactic pieces. Good Luck.

87 3/4 Ton, SB350, Ground Hawg 40's

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Just pull the dash and use brushed aluminum like a race car. Insert Autometer gauges and a slot for the stereo and you're rockin. That's what I'm gonna do anyways. Not for the looks, but for the weight and BS in the way of my impending roll cage.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can use the fabric/carpet type stuff they use to cover stereo boxes. That is thin so it cuts well and the seams match up well. I think you can buy it with a backing you peel off and it sticks right on. You can also get it where you spray the adhesive on yourself. Only thing I think would be bad about doing this is if you take the top off and wheel. Good luck cleaning it if it gets dirty......the walmart carpet is another option. It's cheap and flexable....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>