Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caprice TBI 305... roller?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, May 14, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are Caprice TBI 305s roller motors? In my scouring of the internet I never found a definitive answer. I always thought all TBI and TPI motors that came in cars 87 or later always were roller lifter.

Anybody know what cam is in them?

I was told that there is something odd about them in the intake manifold area... what's up with this?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

should be roller. never seen one that wasn't, but there is always a first. Cam? nothing you want to even bother with. Probably something like 190/190. Why do you want a 305 anyway? Get a 350 out of one and have more CUI and roller :D Thats where my original 383 Block came from, a Caprice cop car. The cop car had a different intake than any I've seen. It was still a QJET but had a hole bored through the plenum so that all the cylinders could breath from both sides of the carb.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum thats odd about the intake id like to see pics of such an intake ive never heard of that,,

hum

i know of an 88 caprice i can get heads and intake from, now i wonder if i should...... for the 305 in the 71,

hmm

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My heads came from the same motor. If you run the casting numbers they are the same ones run on the 285/300HP crate motors. This was a 9C1 police car. A normal Caprice of the same year would have had TBI, the cops got the more power :D

5. CyberSniper

Most 80s quadrajet intakes had the hole bored between the two planes. Kind of eliminated the whole purpose of a dual plane intake... kind of like running an open plenum spacer.

I'm looking for 200hp or so... 260-300ftlbs of torque. More would be nice but not really necessary. My tired 305 TBI in my wheeling rig does alright so a "fresh" one should do pretty good. I want to be able to run a stock chip with the TBI so cam choice is limited I would imagine. Pretty much just to hold me over until I can afford an aluminum motor.

If I knew what I could find a roller 4.3L TBI in I'd go for that. They made the same horsepower/torque as the TBI305s found in trucks and vans. And the weight savings is a huge bonus.

I'm looking for cheap so a TBI 350 or any roller 350 isn't going to be cheap so they're not really an option.

Cops got 65lb/hr injectors and virtually no smog... so of course they made more power. I'm not going to find a 9C1 around here... back home I could find a car for about $1000.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AFAIK starting in 1987 all GM V/8's were TBI with exception to camaro and Vette which also used TPI but starting in 1985 instead of 1987.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

except the 9C1 police cars. They had the Electronic QJet. At least in 89 they did.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, Olds 307's were carbed until 1990. Supposedly last carbed GM motor produced. But thats just trivia. :)

All car SBC's were supposedly roller by 1987(?) even the carbed ones. I know the Monte Carlo's were roller starting in '86 or '87 with the carbed 305's, and as a matter of fact, they had '88 305, RWD Monte's as well, so no, carbs weren't dead on SBC in '87 either.

9. CyberSniper

LIES, DAMNED LIES I TELL YOU.

Or something.

I'm bored at work.

Don't forget GM's big truck line. All those pesky 366s and fo-fiddy-fohrs... I know of a 1994 flat bed/removable box that's got a carb on it.

Some out of country Heeps got carbed GM motors until 1990 as well. Crazy stuff... kind of like Magenta Jeeps that weren't offered in the US.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, it seems to be common knowledge that the C/K/R/V trucks were all TBI starting in 1987, but according to the parts manual, carbs lasted longer than that, at least 1988, in some applications.

No idea if that covers the export trucks or not, I don't believe it does, although the amount of exhaust systems (which typically changed for export) are staggering in the parts manual.