Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caprice wagon Tuned port???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I was told by a friend a local junkyard has a 94-or so caprice wagon with a 350 tuneport system in it. I can get the whole engine, wiring harness, ecu, fuel pump out of it for about 250.00. I haven't been there to see it yet. Is this the same sort of system the camaros use or is it the system that the intake is more like a holy projection looking thing. just shorter. I can't find any pictures on the internet. If the engine isn't a roller motor(which I'm assuming it isn't) I'm probably not going to get it and just get the TPI setup. Would this be a worthwhile buy or should I just stick with camaro/firebird TPI setups. I already

2. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

If it's a -94 caprice with a 350 it has LT1 engine not a TPi engine. It would probably be easiest to swap the whole engine.

3. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I'm not exactly sure about the year. Its definatly that body style. LT1 = Corvette engine. right? they got that square looking intake. which won't bolt up to the older blocks. right?

4. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

ok found pictures of lt1 on ebay. This would be a roller motor wouldnt it? think it is a good buy for 250 unknowing of internal condition?

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Here's a comparison of the LT1 vs the LT4 that you might find informative as far as the LT1 details are concerned:

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

The LT1 that they put in the Caprices and 94-96 Caddy Fleetwoods (and a few others, I think) was generally detuned slightly (maybe cam, maybe exhaust, maybe programming) to about 260HP or so from the 300HP of the Vette version, following usual Chevy protocol, but it's still a fine little 350. I'd think about putting a new optispark unit and a new water pump on it at minimum, as the opti was more water-sensitive before '95 (when they began venting them to let condensation drain out), and it's an easy change while the engine is on a stand.

6. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

It's simlar to the corvette engine but it has cast iron heads instead of aluminium. It's got 260hp and 330lbs. Very nice engine, it revs a lot better than a TPi and still have a lot of low end torque. I have a -94 caprice myself and I love the engine. It has roller lifters but "ordinary" rocker arms.

7. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Well on that bit of information I think I'm going to get it and tear it down to see what kinda shape it is in. I'll probably put the heads on my engine(after some minor work) and just use the top end. for my truck and use my current rebuilt bottom end. (still stock) That way I have a good reliable engine. Any Idea how hard it is to remove emissions from this application. I just thought of that question. wondering how they operate without emissions componets installed.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Camaro and Vettes are the only cars that got TPI, any TPI on any other car or truck was swapped onto it. If you decide to use only the "top end" on your rebuilt bottom end just make sure the cam you have is computer friendly or you won't be happy when it doesn't run correctly.

9. Captainfab

Captainfab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure that engine is actually a 350 LT1. 1994-96 Chevy installed the L99 4.3 (265 ci ) V8 into Caprice sedans and wagons. From outside appearances they look just like a LT1. I'm not sure what to tell you to look for to id that engine other than maybe the tag that's normally on the radiator support. If you could get either the block casting number or the engine assembly code off the front of the block you could look it up that way. According to one of my books the 4.3 V8 used a block with casting number 10168588

I've actually been looking for a 4.3 V8...I just want the crank and rods though.

10. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I was on the phone with my friend when he found it. it said 5.7 on the rad support

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have to think to, the LT1s use an Optical pickup setup on the crankshaft instead of a distributor. Its a very lack luster setup when it comes to offroading, or even in street use. You can convert them to carburated and regular distributor though.

LT1 intakes WILL bolt up to older style heads(TPI, TBI heads that is). But there is no hole for the distributor so one must be drilled.

You can't put older heads or anything from a Gen I SBC on an LT1 other than to convert it to carb and use the distributor.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Few parts from the Generation II engine are interchangeable with the old generation I engine. It uses a new engine block, cylinder head, timing cover, water pump, intake manifold and accessory brackets. On the other hand, the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt pattern remain the same, so the new engine is easier to swap into an older car than another model V8 would be. One visible difference is the new "opti-spark" distributor which is located on the front of the engine behind the gear-driven water pump.
    A key technical difference between the original 350 and the Generation II small block is the cooling system. The engine employs reverse cooling, meaning that the coolant starts at the heads and then flows down through the block. This allows for a higher compression ratio and more spark advance since the heads are kept at a cooler temperature. A secondary benefit of reverse cooling is that cylinder temperatures are higher and more consistant.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

also doesn't note that the coolant doesn't flow through the intake manifold, but rather through external passages on the heads.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

while the mounts are technically the same, the passenger side mount has provisions for a mount further back. if you wish to retain the AC, you must use this rear mount position, or run a very expensive Corvette or aftermarket accessory drive setup.

15. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually, it is possible to install LT1 heads onto a Gen I small block. You need to block off a few passages in the heads, then they bolt straight on. I know of a number of guys running those heads in their Camaros on Thirdgen.org, and have had excellent results...

16. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I may pick this setup up to keep around untill I feel comfortable enough I can make this setup work in an offroad application. I have most of a tuned port setup for my truck which sounds like it may be more practical right now. I want to try to have this done by december. all I need for the tpi setup is a wiring harness and a few sensors. and to just get started on it. Thanks for the info on it. definatly helped me decide what to do.