Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Alarm Problem HELP!! PLEASE!! *update*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, Sep 24, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The previous Owner put a F'n Car alarm on my truck and didn't bother telling me, or giving me a remote. I HATE THAT GUY. Anyway back to the problem I have a DEAD K5 I mean dead, nothing no juice. I started pulling fuses and nothing will get it going. The box under the dash says VIPER and it was clicking after I disconnected the battery to clear my codes. I have done this before with no problems and the truck started right up w/no problems. After I realized that it was an alarm on it I started looking for the over ride switch, but there is none. On the side of the box there is a plug in that is empty. I don't know what that is for but I'm guessing that that is where the override plugs in. No interior lights no nothing. Acts like there isn't anybattery in it. I started pulling fuses to try to dissable the alarm but no luck. Any help? Idea's ??? Please???

<font color="blue"> See update at bottom /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Car Alarm Problem HELP!! PLEASE!!

Only thing that the Viper has is a starter kill relay. You should still have ignition and lights and everything. The start kill relay should be near the brain, or near the main ignition harness. If you think it's the alarm, pull the main harness on it, it won't hurt anything, and if it is holding a kill relay on, unplugging the harness will kill the coil in the relay that is holdin the circuit open. I installed these things for quite a few years.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

So if I unplug the one big one going into the box it will work? It has a horn under the hood and it made a noise one time kinda I dunno what I did to make it do that.

4. willyswanter

Yeah, if it is in fact a relay that is killing everything, then yes, unplugging the module should shut the relay coil off, if it was wired correctly. It is possible that the person who installed it wired it backwards so the coil has to be energized to start the truck, but more than likely it is not this way. But if it is, then you will have to find the relay and disconnect it and wire the truck the way it was stock. But again, it shouldn't be this way. Anyway, the way these units are made, depending on year and model, when power is reconnected it sets the alarm siren off, that is prob. why you heard it.

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

There was a relay beside the box that according to the box controlled the starter. I unplugged it and still nothing. If I unplug this big white clip will it cancell the alarm? I still have NO power at all, no int lights or anything? Thanks for all your help, I'm lost /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. willyswanter

Well, if you have no power at all, it's not the alarm. And yes if you unplug the big white plug, you will have no more alarm at all. But, there is no way an installer would put a relay on every single item in the whole truck to shut it down completely. I would grab a multi-meter or test light and start working from the battery out. Check the bus at the fuse block and see if it's hot. If it's not, start tracing your main feed to your battery. There may be a fusible link somewhere that got fried.

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't think that it's a fuse because I got my power back somehow when I messed with the battery. After that I went in to see if it would start and when I turned the key everything went off again. ARGH i can't get that dang plug out of the box. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Ok, alarm box is out and the relay for the starter is out but I still have no power at all. I'm stumped. I know nothing when it comes to wiring. I poked around w/ my light thing and nothing would lite up on the block so it's dead. I tried to get it to light up on the back of the alternator but I couldn't. This should light up right? I will get a better test light tomorrow when everything is open.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've seen issues with Clifford and Viper alarms where when the brain goes tits up you get nothing nada. Not saying that is what happened but..... If that relay or any other part of that box is connected to your ign. switch wires (it should be connected to one side of the wire and the other side of the wire will be connected to something else, if that makes any sense) Well reattach your igntion switch wires and the starter kill will be disabled, as will the brain/relays. The starter kill is the only part of it that actually cuts a wire, the rest are all tapped in.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Are your Battery connections tight, no corroson? Sounds like a bad connection. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I wirebrushed them, what is that solution you can mix and put the cable in? I don't think it would be that because it was working fine like 3 or so hours ago before i disconnected the bat. to clear codes. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I agree with "willyswanter" Sounds more like a fusable link. Check the F-link.

13. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I would if I could find it. I will be spending more time trying to find it tomorrow when i have some light. It's a jungle under there and I can't even find where my power is coming in to trace it back to the batt and find the fuse.

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The only reason I even suspected an alarm is b/c I heard a ticking sound under the dash. Traced it down and found the alarm. I then turned my lights on and tried to start it and the lights never dimmed or anything so I suspected that the alarm had killed the connection. Of course this was before i lost power all together.

15. willyswanter

Yeah, your alarm would have nothing to do with power do the lights or anything like that. It's definately something between teh post on the battery, and your fuse block. Your battery does have power right? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Yea I went and had it checked last night.

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So have you resolved this yet.....or are you still looking for help?

My suggestion (Since it's a 1st Gen and the ignition switch is EASY to see) is to crawl underneath there and look for any wires off the ignition that have been "spliced" into. That's typically how you do the "ignition kill" on an alarm, so it should be obvious if you see that a thick red wire (for example) is cut and has some other wires spliced off from it.

The simple solution for now would be to cut out that splice and put the wire back together the way it was originally. Then, if you're not feeling brave.....take the truck to a professional shop and have them remove the old alarm and install a new one (and make sure they give you the remotes!) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Lol I wish it was on the 72 I would probably had it fixed by last night if that was the case, but this is on my 91. I have power now but still no start. The alarm is out of it along with the relay for the starter that was right beside the alarm box. I just got out of class so i'm fixing to go digging to get this thing going. Thanks for all ya'lls help and if anybody has anymore suggestions please share /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Oh....OK!

Well let us know when you get a chance.....does it crank over now, or at least give you a solenoid "click", or it is completely quiet when you turn the key to the "start" position???

That will help isolate possible causes.

Good Luck.

20. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

It's completly silent.

I've got my light and started checking the wires that were in the relay beside the alarm box. Two green one yellow and an orange IIRC. The yellow is hot with key to run. One green is hot with key on start. Does this help any?