Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car alarm questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by surpip, Jun 10, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

What kid of alarms do you guys run? Can i install it my self or is there some kind of factory warentee that says you have to have a trained tec. install it to keep the warentee, also im going to put a soft top on my truck so what about convertable alarms? thanks,
    dale

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I alway get the top of the line "Code Alarm". I don't know if it's part of the warrenty or nor, but I have the shop install the alarm, I reather they do it then for me too screw something up. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

anything made by DEI is the way to go,in my opinion. They make the alarms for several companies like viper etc.... The install is pretty straight forward as long as you are comfortable with doing simple wiring. The convertable thing is different though. They do make microwave sensors but they seem to be just a little to touchy to wind escpecially If you have a bikini top that moves with the wind.

4. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I had a DEI Sidewinder installed by Bestbuy only because I know the installer personally and Bestbuy offers a lifetime warranty on the brain module. I got the Sidewinder 6500HF which has Remote start on it and 4 button remote to control my back glass and window rollup.

But any DEI product like Sidewinder or Viper are really good choices.

I've installed all my other alarms on my 91 s-10 pickup, 85 s-10 blazer, Mercury Cougar, 97 s-10 blazer, all Vipers and I didn't have any problem. Took my time, soldered all connections and heat shrinked all wires. Good quality work since I did it myself. If your not that electronically inclined they maybe pay someone else to install it, like the alarm place you purchased it from.

Mav

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya im an eletronics tech in the navy so i should have no problem dooing a alarm install, i was just curious about the alarm company not covering anny breakins if i do it myself /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Anybody know anything about these? Powerlock

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

bottom line is if sombody want your truck or car they will take it i just want somthing that might give me the chance to catch the little fwaker in the act /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... dog or armed guard. Too bad that steering wheel taser disappeared off the market. Lawsuits I guess.

Anyway, yes, if they really want it and have the time to get thru all your defenses then there's nothing you can do. But probably worth it to make things more difficult for them.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh i agree thats why ill be puttin an alarm in my truck, i want a silent one so i can catch them though, one of those keychain pager ones /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Be cool if the silent alarm triggered a doberman...

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had my alarm and remote start professionally installed because I don't know much about wiring. I would tell you to avoid Ungo alarms but they were taken over by DEI and like everyone else says, they are good. My old Ungo alarm fried itself twice! I just had my 3rd warranty covered alarm installed but luckely Ungo no longer makes them.

Get the remote start feature...it's pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sooooo...any updates? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

I have a Viper alarm in my 72 with a STP Fastrack Top. I'm using the microwave sensor and haven't had any problems with false alarms from the wind or simlar. The alarm will go off if you slap the side of the soft top though.

Also, I installed it myself including the immobilizer, hardest part was just finding the right wire to splice into for the ignition becuase it's a rat's nest under my dash /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome so it works pretty good than huh? right on wich model is it? i look into that one, its not just a 700 dollar stero that would save but a 600 dollar softtop to /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I have a car alarm that goes.

beeep beeep beeep bawwwr eeeeee bawrrrr eeeeeee weahhhh weahhh weahhh weahhhh deeeeee doeeee deeeee doeeeeeee weere weereee werreeee werreeee