Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Alarms.....What brands are good these days....?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's been a LONG time since I thought about things like alarms.....I think the last time was around 1990 when I had an Alpine 8126(?) installed!!! After that I kinda lost track....I know that Clifford was THE alarm to buy in the early 90's (IG-900?) but I think they've been bought out by some other company and may have gone the Alpine route (used their good name recognition, to sell "cheaper" lower-end products to the masses)

So the question is: Who is THE alarm company these days?

The features I need are probably pretty basic:

<ul type="square">[*]Pin Switches for doors, hood, tailgate (Hatch)
    [*]Ignition Kill
    [*]Power Door Lock trigger (maybe, I haven't decided about adding power locks yet)
    [*] Interior radar sensing...for when the top is off
    [*] Shock/Vibration sensor
    [/list]

That's about it. I am of the opinion that the "quality" of the sensors will 'make-or-break' an alarm system. Bad sensors (or improperly adjusted sensors) will false a lot, and cause you to not even TRUST the alarm anymore.

So for those of you who are "In-The-Business", let me know your thoughts on brands, and maybe some ballpark pricing too....! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

THANKS!

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Don't have much info for ya greg on brands, most are DEI anymore but the most important is when you come to install it if you do it yourself. Put the stuff in out of ordinary places. Most theives know where installers put the siren and brain and go straight to it. (Usually next to the steering column)
    Most people say stay away from DEI the one that was talked about the most was www.computstar.org kinda pricey but all I know to send ya. I'd just ask around different shops that sell/support different brands and insurance companies maybe,

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My friend does alarms and stereo nstalls everyday, thier top of the line, right below the compustar is the viper550, retails for about $550-$600 installed.
    I have heard good and bad on the compustars, they are still kinda new and there are still bugs in the system.

4. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg,
    The DEI thing is that they make Viper,Hornet,Wasp,Python....and on and on. All there alams feature a "standard 12 wire plug" this is the same wiring code for most of all DEI alarms on the market. Not a very good idea in the my mind? security that is standard is not security.
    Compustar alarms come at it with a different view. Compustar is a Two-Way alarm, but not like a paging system.
    The remote with compustar has a LCD screen on it, When your vehical is tampered with it will send a single to your remote up to a mile and 1/4 away. on the screen it will show you if the doors were opened, or the trunk. If it was bumped or if they tried to break glass. It is ideal if you have to park in a area that you cannot see your vehical. Also it is the only alarm on the market that has a built in remote engine start for a manual transmission. (that I know of and I have been looking). There is much more it is capable of doing like remotley roll up and down your windows. Plus its a way bad toy to have. there are expensive, and you must have it installed by a Compustar dealer&lt;~~(ME) Compustar cannot be sold on the internet either. I know cuz I tried too sell them on ebay and the prez of compustar called me and explained the dealership rules with me....my bad. but theres always a way around that.

5. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

they did have bugs in the 1st series but these are now in the 6th series of design. they also got the CES innovation award this year. sweet lil alarm.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I just know that most of the ones they install, come back. all the workers run the Viper 550. And you can run those on a manual too. just needs the e-brake and clutch switch.

7. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

What kind of problems are they having? I have got some wierd probs with the passlock 2 system intergration. but most of the problems are the vehicals that require a "chipped or resisted key" needs to be installed the correct way. other than that we install a avarage of 12 a month.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm not certain on what the probs are. It's been a while since I have hung out there watching them do the compustars,

9. Greg72

Tony,

I'll see what else I can find out about DEI.....there must be a website right?

OK, so here's an oddball followup question: It seems like everytime I hear an alarm going off "falsing" around here it's the one that goes through the 6 different alarm sounds.....I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about....it's got the "slow sine wave sound", and the "short bursts sound"....the "High tone, Low tone sound" etc.....

Who makes that one? It seems like it's either a total piece of crap, or the installers are setting all the sensors for "hair trigger" sensitivity...... Those alarms REALLY get on my nerves!!

Of course if I had a dollar for everytime my dumb neighbor unlocked his car door and set off his own alarm.....I'd be a rich man by now. It's so amusing to see him get scared and fumble with the keychain to turn it off......but he NEVER seems to learn! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Most alarms have a standard 7 tone siren, most of the alarms you can open the back of the siren and clip wires and limit the tones. there is a shock sensor that can be set to sensitive and cause false alarms, it is common on cheaper alarms.
    Did that answer your question?

- Tony

11. Greg72

Gotcha......sounds like all the "sounds" are built in to the siren, and once it gets +12V.....it just cycles through them all.

Might be nice to swap it out for a simpler "one sound" horn, or some air-horns......once I get the sensors "accurately" set.

12. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Just tap in to the alarm siren wire and run it to a relay to power the air pump for the horns. then put 140db piezo sirens and mount it right next the the driverside sun visor.
    Let's see some one drive a big blazer down the street with air horns going off and 140 db's blasting him in the face.
    But that's just me and im like that...............lol
    hey if ya need help I'm like the "mad scientist" with electronics.
    I am "Auto-Gyver" LOL

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am also running the DEI 550ESP in all my vehicles. DEi has also bought out Clifford and Avital so anything by DEI is almost identical in design.

I removed the color coded wires about 2 inches from the brain and solder on all Black wires coming off from there and if you can't find the brain then you have no clue which wire is which. By the time they trace down my alarm they could have moved on to another car.

14. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

changing the wire colors is a good idea. lot of work if you have problems tho. If at all possible I try to put the brain some where else that the standard under the driverside dash. I mount the shock sensor to the sterring colum, that way it could pick up vibrations from them taking off the wheel lugs.
    I just got in the new Compustar alarms in to day, It has the same functions of the origanal alarm just without the engine start. not bad on the price, its going to run 399.00 installed.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like CODE ALARMS. If you buy their best, it's got satilite tracking. They will replace your ride if it can't be recovered.