Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car audio in the house

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SS66, Dec 3, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Something I have been pondering for quite some time now:
    Taking a car stereo/cd player, 1 amp.. 2 Boxes with Subs inside, some midrange + tweeters and running them in the house off of a 110 v to 12 v transformer. In my tiny little mind I think it would work just fine. What do you audiophiles think?

I know someone is bound to ask "why?". Well, because I want to do this damnit! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

P.s. My grammar is king!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'll need a big regulated power suply, or car battery and charger. I've done the car audio in a house befor, you'll need to make boxs for your speaker. If you just set them in a corner it sounds like sh_t. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I know the speakers need to be in boxes.. I have a power supply made to power mobile CB's in the house. That would probably work to get things started.. but Im sure I wouldnt be able to turn it up loud with that thing.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just buy normal audio stuff. they make audiophile audio equipment that will own any car stereo stuff you'll run into.

j

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just buy normal audio stuff. they make audiophile audio equipment that will own any car stereo stuff you'll run into.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. I know that. This will let me customize everything and in the end will come out cheaper.
    Anyone notice that since the late 90's home systems ( for the most part ) dont seem to come with big woofers anymore? Everything now is 5-7 channel surround with one sub. Sooo sad /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

go look at cerwin vega. if you like it loud, and you want it to sound good, go buy a set of those.

i have an older set of 12" RE's being powered by a Yamaha CR 2020 Natural Sound reciever. the reciever was made in the 70's, but they dont make them like they used to. this is set up for music and only music, a home theater is for movies. this reciver puts over 240 watts RMS to each Vega. IMHO these are the best speakers available if you want ground pounding bass and great sound in your house.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The power supply will be the part of the equation that will "ruin" your idea....

It's the same problem Car Stereo Shops have when they want a NICE sound board in the listening room. The power supply that can provide the kind of continuous current needed is not cheap. You might be able to cobble something together with a trickle charger, a couple of car batteries, and some stiffening caps.....but that's a lot of effort just to use a "car amp" in the house.

It's not impossible, just one of those "more trouble than it's worth" type exercises...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Here's a power supply that could run a pretty powerful car audio system in the house.
    [​IMG]

It only $500 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

These are mainly built for RF amplifiers but would also work with audio amplifiers.

9. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not impossible, just one of those "more trouble than it's worth" type exercises......

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmm... what about just running car speakers off a Home receiver? I heard awhile ago that due to the ohms being different things wouldnt be 'right'. Is that true?

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

take a look at http://www.partsexpress.com/

they have all kinds of stuff for you to put together a quality system for cheep. You just have to build it...

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

dan you beat me to it.... was fixing to link that.

check out that site and if you dig around enough you can find stuff people have built. A lot more in depth than standard car audio. Advantage #2 is the room is larger and you get more bang for the buck on subs.

Belive me I had my box with 2 12's in my living room back home for about a week OMG it was loud. rather disappointing putting it back in the truck.

12. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I just added that site to my favorites, Thanks guys.