Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

car body on 4x4 frame info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Oct 10, 2005.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

no, seriously, I'm not looking to start a flame war, just some info on what's involved with putting a car body on a truck frame. My project K20's body is totally hammered, and my brother has a '75 Mark IV body in great shape. The perfect combo? Not to some, but it's cheap and it's what we have so we want to go for it. Trying to decide what's best- putting 4x4 suspension on the Lincoln frame or Lincoln body on the truck frame. It's hillbilly, it's taboo, it's godawful, I know, but surely SOMEBODY here has done it, though they may not want to admit it :haha:

Who could resist crawling rocks in a Newport-Beach-Pimp-Blue Lincoln with full turqoise leather interior? :wink1:

namely am looking for some internet sites to get inspiration from.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

Maybe Mullet.com?
    Do it, just don't tell anybody you did it.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

IMHO: put the body on the truck frame... don't try to build a wheeler off of a car frame..
    I know a guy with a 70 something camaro on 44" hawgs and that thing looks mean (at least to an ignorant redneck like me) ;)

4. monster man

here's a concept, I know some of you (ALL of you) are pretty skeptical after the railing that the magazines give these things, but just think of it as a brand new body style for K-trucks :D

One of the classiest luxury cars ever made, rolling on 38" Boggers
    the body will most likely end up 4-6" higher depending if the body mounts are all on the right planes

lincoln1.jpg

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ive actually helped a friend with this, we got it to the point that the two were joined. 86 camaro and 85 jimmy. we made mounts and tied into the subframe, it wa actually quite easy, kept the steering column from the camaro but everything including steering, motor, suspension was all the jimmy. for the brakes we used the camaro master cylinder (the booster from the jimmy wouldnt fit and the jimmys brakes. he moved away with the project, but ive never seen it finished. it was pretty cool though.

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

At least make sure the a/c and power everything works, and real dark tint ( so no one can see you ). Reminds me of the old joke about riding a mo-ped or screwing a......... Best o' luck, I know all about being poor and using what I've got laying around.

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Do it!! Do it!! Tho you would need to grow the required Mullet!! Git-R-Done!! :saweet: Make sure its Locked front and rear and has decent mud tires under it!!!

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Id get it converd in mud and drive the SOB around the mall parking lot :bow:

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Heres one.

Kiario1.jpg

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMO it would depend on what engine/trans you are useing. Putting a 4x4 under or in a car with a frame is easy if you can weld. If your useing the Ford motor do that if your useing the Chevy motor the use the frame from the k5. Its a lot of work for not alot of a truck or car.

11. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

One of the guys working at the Chevy wrecking yard in Sacramento, Ca. put a Camaro body on a second Gen K5 without much trouble.

12. monster man

99% sure we're using the 350/th350/np205 out of my '73, then swapping the 350 out of our t-bucket and the SM465/np205 out of the '78 into my '73, along with the good cab, then the 460/C6/9" from the Lincoln will go in our t-bucket :D The 396 from the '78 (actually a 60's Impala) has an uncertain future at this point because it needs so much work. So, it looks like using the truck frame is the best choice, though it will (surprisingly considering the length of the Mark IV) need to be shortened about 12 inches.

We'll only need to dispose of the Lincoln frame and hammered Chevy body. Jeez, I oughtta get a recycling credit from the government :haha:

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I always thought a Checker (is in Cab) would make a cool 4 wheeler. I think they're full frame. A few dents, brush gaurd, viola! CONJO CABBIE :haha:

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a whole bunch of rednecks in michigan... lets see here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all I can think of! It looks cool as long as you do it right

15. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

My friend has an El Camino body on a k5 frame. Its pretty dam cool, its orange and has 01 on the side, on the windshield it says "General Nuisance" Its got a 4inch lift and 35s, the only problem is its hard jumping up into it and then have to crouch cuz its not tall like a truck on the inside. I would build it, it would be a fun project.

16. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

personaly i dont like the sportier cars on 4x4 frames (I.E. camaros mustangs)
    i think the lincon would be cool i have owed a few lincons and actualy liked the cars. i think the squareness would work well on a 4x4. my vote is go for it take alot of pics and do a write up on it just for fun

balzer

17. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there are 2 mark bodied 4x4s up here,a red one and a blue one.they look ool but have never seen them off road.so it has been done before.

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

here ya go...
    [​IMG]

I had a pic of that classic 70's camaro (red) with mullet dude passenger on about 38's..... Id do it in a heart beat... :bow:

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you do it, take pics and post the progress. It would be fun to watch the buildup.

20. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

another plus would be that car plates in mo dont have weight limits so you can lift as high as the headlights rule would allow! :eek1: Might want to check your lift laws