Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Chemistry header insert mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 21, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone have experience with those header inserts?
    http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=8&s=165&p=3464&searchtype=ecat
    I know the WhiteKnight has them but I don't have quite the motor he does. I'm trying to minimize my exhaust as much as I can but keep backpressure to make some actual power with my almost stock 355. All I've got is flat tops in 76cc heads, Ebrock Performer intake, Edbrock Thunder AVS carb, forged crank, and headers. With the coming S10 body swap I may make new headers running outside my frame rails. Maybe I could just run primary tubes all the way back along the frame to a single glasspack or 8 really little ones /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have been entertaining the idea of making my own mufflers, seriouslly not like mufflers are anything special, just some formed and welded sheetmetal.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    almost stock 355.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long tube generic headers, 2.5" pipes with Dynomx or Flowmaster mufflers and forget about it. That almost stock 355 isn't going to benefit any from any of that high end NHRA junk.

You're overthinking the exhaust...

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no I'm trying to underthink it, I want to reduce it to a minimum of stuff. The point is I know I won't gain any power I want to reduce the amount of exhaust I have.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

If all you are looking for is a bit of muffleing without actual mufflers,,,,it will work out for you.

It will give backpressure for sure. A couple of folks over on LS1.com have tried them out. In both instances, they lost a good bit of power over a decent catback system. Both folks were makeing in the 400 rear wheel HP range. If you are makeing a good bit less, they might not hurt you much at all,, they should work out pretty well in low HP systems.

5. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

they would probably work but are you sure you want the exhaust dumping out that close to where you sit? might get old real quick especially driving slow on a trail you will definately smell it and smell like it! just a thought.