Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car guys talking about trucks!?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by '73 K5, Dec 19, 2003.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Ever since I bought my Mustang, I've been getting more into drag racing and less into off-roading...going to Mustang forums and stuff more. And then I came across this thread today. How frustrating.
    http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=402845
    I can't believe how confident some of those guys say IFS axles are the only way to go for 'wheeling. Feel free to register and tell them how it really is...I tried to. My username is "Klunky" over there.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Nice to see you back, even if its for a short while /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I like your Sig! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I hate to tell you this, but you didn't come off very well to those idiots at all.

First, the reason that IFS has no ground clearance is because as the suspension compresses (which believe it or not it does to some degree but with the limited travel you'd never think so) the center crossmember gets closer to the ground. Anybody who's ever wheeled an IFS truck knows that it doesn't take long before that particular crossmember becomes a mud plow or gets bashed on a rock.

Second, nobody is ever going to pull out a 10 bolt front to put in IFS because the frames are drastically different. It could be said that it is almost impossible to do such a swap with a stock frame, although I'm sure that it could be done with enough work (and the end result wouldn't be worth it anyway).

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. Independant suspension is the best for clearance over objects on the off-road. Plain and simple. You can practically drive over a log or rock with one tire while the others are still on the ground (most of the time.) Where as with a solid axle, your going to be tipping ALOT more than you would be with independant. It's practically common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love it when people try to act like they know what they are talking about, and end up looking like a horses ass. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

this is fun, I threw in my non sense,
    names rustang-lover /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. Independant suspension is the best for clearance over objects on the off-road. Plain and simple. You can practically drive over a log or rock with one tire while the others are still on the ground (most of the time.) Where as with a solid axle, your going to be tipping ALOT more than you would be with independant. It's practically common sense

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is my favorite /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. Independant suspension is the best for clearance over objects on the off-road. Plain and simple. You can practically drive over a log or rock with one tire while the others are still on the ground (most of the time.) Where as with a solid axle, your going to be tipping ALOT more than you would be with independant. It's practically common sense

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is my favorite /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pathetic. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey what Kind of Mustang did you get? I have a 87 5,0 Vert that I am building.
    There getting to be quite a few Mustang owners here at CK5 Maby we can get Steve to give us our own forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I know what you mean about those forums. I hang out at Mustang World and the Corral. Lotta people on those forums dont know squat about cars, let alone trucks. They seem to think a lifted truck with IFS, big tires and stock gears is the ultimate offroader. Those people are doomed to stay in the 14s with the ricers forever.

I like this one
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think my Jeep could take an H2... on or off road... (depending on how harsh the off road trail is... )

[/ QUOTE ]
    The guy must be be a Hardcore Mall Crawler

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

bah its getting really deep in that stang forum. Another Reason im proud to be a GM man

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

haha at that and at signature, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey what Kind of Mustang did you get? I have a 87 5,0 Vert that I am building.
    There getting to be quite a few Mustang owners here at CK5 Maby we can get Steve to give us our own forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    1992 GT with all the bolt-ons. Went 13.8 at almost 99mph in September. I'm having Ed Curtis grind me a cam right now and ordering some AFR 165 heads right after Xmas. Also at the same time: Edelbrock intake, 75mm Accufab TB, electric fan conversion. There are LX guys running in the 11's with that setup...I'll be happy with mid/low 12's. Dry nitrous kit after that.

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like your Sig! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. It's hard for some people to understand. I'm still a "Chevy man" but for some reason I just HAD to own a 5.0

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

what that you "Rolling in your 5.0..." no hair so you do not need the rag top, no hair to blow....

hahaha

Nice to see you grace us on cK5 if your wit.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I know what you mean about the 5.0s. I love Chevys too, but when I drove my Mustang I just had to have it. Before I bought it I was looking at third gen Camaros. But I was never impressed with any I drove. Just didn't feel right to me and most were pretty slow. Besides I don't have a mullet and I just didn't seem to fit in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have all the usual bolt ons also.
    I'm doing suspention mods to mine this winter: sub frames, boxed RCAs, Poly bushings, strut tower brace, shocks, HR springs ect. I need to work on my launch. I really need to improve my traction.
    Then its time to get out the die grinder and go to work on the heads and intake. With slicks I hope to get to the mid 12s or better.

I'm glad my K5 is pretty much where I want it to be for now. And I still wheel a lot. But. After driving and modding trucks for so many years. Its really fun to have a fast car again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Its hard to talk trucks to some of thoes people on the car forums most of them have no idea what 4 wheeling is and what a good 4x4 and driver can do. Flex, to a lot of them. Is something that your tires do /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

IFS-POS,like i say if you want it to ride like a caddilac,buy a caddilac. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. edjolly

edjolly Registered Member

Man, when I read that title, I thought you were in here trashing Click and Clack. I strapped on my flamethrower and came in hot. Now I gotta come back down.

BTW, weren't 80's T-bird IF suspensions real popular a ways back with some of the rock crawler set? I have a very vague memory of that.

Ed

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what that you "Rolling in your 5.0..." no hair so you do not need the rag top, no hair to blow....

hahaha

Nice to see you grace us on cK5 if your wit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    "Ohhhhhhhh...you'd be surprised!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow god post! those guys got showed!! i cant bieleve some of the things they were saying.."ifs clears things better than a SFA"...yea ok..you go get a old chevy and a 88-up chevy..puttem side by side..and explain that to me again! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif through reading that post thats made me re-think my decision to try out an IFS truck..im afriad it would just be a big disapointment, even if i only do mudding..but i can see that crossmember just pushing the mud...as i do get into some pretty deep stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. 500hp/383ci

500hp/383ci Registered Member

people who think that ifs is better probably never off roaded with solid axle i had a ifs and swapped for a solid because of breakage and what not