Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car lot wouldn't sell me a car for cash

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by google, Jun 13, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

I went to a car lot today to take an 83 chevy pickup off their hands. I got there and the guy started telling me how good it ran and blah blah blah. I told him to save it. I just wanted to gut it for parts. He turned around and said he wouldn't sell it to me then. WTF. Since when do car dealerships care what you do with a car? I thought the whole reason behind having a dealership was to SELL?!?!?! That pissed me off. I almost got a running 454, 14 bolt, 4 in tough country suspention lift, interior, 700r4, steering column, powersteering box, and an extra transfer case for $1000. I'm pissed!!!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go in and talk to the manager and tell them you have cash money and want to buy the truck or have a friend go buy it :D

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

It was one of those corner lots. The guy I spoke with was the owner/manager/accountant/detailer type of thing....

But the friend thing may work..... Now I just have to make a friend...... :(

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

never tell some one you are going to strip it for parts some people go nuts or wont sell this is the case for most vintage modle t'S and stuff like that -- i have been in this boat to but you would think a stellership would not care :dunno:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Heck, I'll be your friend to go buy it... I would probably wanna keep it though...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There are some areas and states where you can't buy a car for Cash at all. We were discussing it in class a few days ago. Some areas(mainly high crime, high drug money areas), you can't buy a car for cash.

7. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

hi again, If you are looking for a truck, There is a 3/4 ton chevy long bed for sale in mesa I dont know much about it except that its rust has a lift and 35" tires and is a $1000 obo. its located on main street and horn sitting on the south east corner. later

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thats odd, they wouldn't sell it to you, becasue you were gonna use it for parts, when i lived in Oregon, i had a 73 chevy truck, 2wd, 518hp 454, th400, 14blt. 4inch lift, 35 inch tires..and had two car lots offer to buy it off of me so they could gut it for the engine and rear end..then the wiring shorted and caught fire..and i still towed it over to one of the car lots, and they still paid me $1800 cash for it.

and i found out later, my engine found a happy new home in a 1939 willys coupe :D

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think they actually legally have to sell it to you. Under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), a merchant makes a "firm offer" when they advertise an item available at a specific price. When you accept their offer, you create a contract for them to sell you the item at the specified price.

The problem would be enforcing your contract. You could probably go to small claims court and get an injunction requiring them to sell you the truck - but it would likely be more trouble than its worth.

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

That may be the first time in US history that someone has been taken to court and forced to sell a "JUNKER". Funny, I just may be tempted if I couldn't find a friend to buy it for me.

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I remember when I went to a car dealer in Denver on Colfax and found a van I wanted to buy for $350. When we sat down in the office, they asked me if I wanted to finance it :doah: :surepal: I ask them if they would take cash and they seemed suprised. Finance $350????

12. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Used car dealers are their own bread if you ask me. I wouldn't mention that you wanted it for parts, he probally thinks you are going to turn aroudn and sell the parts for twice of what you pay for the truck. Or he is goofy and doesn't like to see things get parted, who knows. Nut :confused: