Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car running rough, and bogging down?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I am having a problem with my car. It's kind of weird, and hard to explain. I think it's a fuel injector turning bad, but I am not sure.

Ok... here's the deal on it. It's a 95 Dodge Peeon. It started doing this awhile back. I was going to meet a CK5er in Fremont to pick up some parts. On the way there it began to slightly buck here and there. My check engine light came on. It also would bog down. I'd be sitting on the gas, it wouldn't be going faster, simply slowing up, and straining. It would hit a point where it would basically wake up, and kick back into and go. Really sucked when I slowed down for an accident, as when I would have to speed up from a crawl, it would not go, and finally kick in, but by this time, the other traffic was already moving. Made me worried a bit, but I learned quick the trick, and drove it anyhow. Only out of wtf was I gonna do.....

On the way home, it basically did it the whole way. Every few minutes, it would bog down. Only one part it stopped for maybe 20 minutes. I finally stopped at Walmart in Dixon and bought some mystery oil and put it in my gas. It began to not do this crap so much by the time I hit home.

Next day (Sunday), I didn't drive it at all. I went to work and drove it Monday. It didn't do it at all. I thought maybe the injector was dirty and I solved it with the mystery oil. It did, for a week. Now it does the same things with the having to gas it, check engine light and the whole it running like crap. It also has started at times idling very rough. Not all the time, just here and there. I am going nuts trying to solve this. I took it to a shop, it wouldn't do it for them. No codes, no issues, nothing.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I hate to dump $129 on an injector only to be wrong... thanks.

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you should try to pull a code from the computer it could be some thing like a co2 sencer or mass flow sencer you can buy the Haynes repair book and it will show the way to pull codes ---- I hade the same problem with my 86 corvette and it was the co2 for me and it was $110.00 just for the part and I drove it for 30 miles after that and then needed new plugs but it runs like a champ now

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

co2 sensor?? is that next to the muffler bearings?? LOL..

im willing to bet its a MAF sensor, if not a TPS.. but get the codes pulled at autozone.. and get the basic definition from them at the same time.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sounds like it might be something as simple as a fuel filter. But then again it's pretty had to figure it out with out driving it myself.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    co2 sensor?? is that next to the muffler bearings?? LOL..

im willing to bet its a MAF sensor, if not a TPS.. but get the codes pulled at autozone.. and get the basic definition from them at the same time.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well i am a little confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif is it just called co senser (would be located on the exusest system) but i know for a fact only the 83 corvetts had muffler bearings /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ( the joke for you non corvette people is no vetts where made in 83)

<font color="red"> steph any news on the car </font>

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

O2 sensor maybe? oxygen sensors, not carbon dioxide.. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

HEY they made vettes in 83.. pretty sure the museum in bowling green has one.. gm has a couple stored away, about 8 were scrapped, and the rest built as "late 83s" were titled and sold as 84s.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Your neon should do self diagnostic, Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (On is *not* start!)
    The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (loong pause)
    It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses!
    55 is end of codes - it's normal. Before you call your dealer or mechanic, consider that the blink-spacing is not always perfectly uniform, so if you see 23 23, it's probably just a single 55. (Codes are not repeated.)
    33 is normal on earlier models if you don't have air conditioning. It does sound like a fuel filter though.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed? Should be done yearly. More often if you run around on E all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

95 neon is obd2, key trick wont work, and no chrysler vehicals that i can think of(not counting DSM) had a MAF

i would check the code, if it is fuel sys lean, put a filter in it