Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Scales?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Jagged, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Anyone have a set of scales they really like? I'm looking at the Rebco "First Weigh" scales. I'm not wanting to drop a lot of cash right now for some scales, but I just want a decent set (right around $1000). Is there another set you'd recommend?

Rebco First Weigh

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What is it you want to do with them?

Are they for corner weights just on occasion, or are you tuning some sort of racer?

3. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i use the scales at the local steel house that useses them for thier trucks, earl m jorgenson, but i know people that use the ones at the D.O.T. for thier planes and they dont get charged anythign to borrow them

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Tuning an autocross car.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have the money buy the good ones. I have a freind who races autocross and when he got his scales he picked up anywhere from 1-6 sec depending on where he was. We shuffled alot of stuff around on his car though took a couple of hours to set up the scales and weigh it and 2 weeks to get the weight where we wanted it :D We used the longacre ones I have heard the rebco ones are good too

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Where would you rate Intercomp relative to Rebco and Longacre? Higher-end....lower-end?

Summit sells the Intercomp scales, and I was looking at buying the 6000Lb setup (without the memory presets) for around $1300 IIRC.

It's a bit of an extravagance, but it will sure be nice to know my sprung mass/ unsprung mass as I start setting up my link suspension and start picking out coil springs. Having accurate measurements of weigh bias (F/R)during the buildup will help me decide where to place the extras like batteries, fuel tank, spare tire, etc.

I also want a 2 post lift, and a frame/chassis table......it's nice to dream isn't it?? :D

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Greg, I can't find it but perhaps you can. I posted how to build a simple corner weighing tool that uses a beam type torque wrench. For most of what people need to do here I think it is enough. Though I ouldn't want to set Cross weights on a Autocross car with it.

InterComp was one of the first to make electronic scales. From general perception only (only one direct experience) I would put them near the top of the heep.

8. Greg72

Well, you know me..... if there's a simple way to do something, I'd prefer the complex way!!! :haha:

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have hung out in alot of different racing circles and it seems that most guys think they are all pretty good longacre being the best. Rebco and Intercomp are also well liked. I think that if you bought any of these three you would be happy. Getting your car level is almost more important than the type of scale

10. Greg72

Found a link:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=1

Looks like pricing on the "budget" stuff is no worse than the Intercomp stuff I'd already seen.... About $1100 will buy a 6000LB setup. :thinking: