Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Seat in a Blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jan 21, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Ok, if you did not know my wife and I are have a Baby Boy on the way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He is about 3 months out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and we have been talking about buying a new(er) SUV or Mini-van. It is that or sell the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and a new Tahoe, or Sub.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Anyway the question is if you had a baby and you did not have any other cars other then your Blaze where would you put his car seat? I know that you can not put a car seat in the front of a car that has airbags, but what about the front of a blazer with no air bags and a rear that has a fiberglass top? The wife is all about /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif “NO YOU CAN PUT HIM IN THE FRONT!!!” but I am like 'he would be safer up there then in the back if the truck was to roll or get t-boned.' What do you all think. + what about him in the front with the top off? (half top) there is NO way he will be in the back with a Soft top or a no top if you all think the rear is better.

Thanks

brett /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

build a roll cage back there dude don't sell your truck The kid will never forgive you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my blazer doesnt have a back seat so i have to have my kid up front with me.its much easier to take care of him if he wants his bottle and stuff.the only problem with this is that the law said kids under the age of 12 have to be in the back seat.since i dont have one this is my only option.at least till i have anether one and i have to put in a back seat.you wont never see me in a mini van. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

I do not care what kind of car i drive, just need the space. Driving from KC to Wichita for X-mas we drove the Honda (2000 Accord 2dr) and with the Cats(in carrier), Luggage for a week, all the gifts, and my hockey bag there was NO MORE SPACE IN THE CAR. Not for a car set or any of the other stuff for the baby. And in the summer we go from KC to Grand Lake and we take luggage and the wife’s skies and my wakeboard. So it would be tight with the Pack and play, the car seat and all the other stuff.

The cars we have looked at are the MPV, Trailblazer, Honda Mini Van, Pilot (I do not think we are going with this), used Land Cruiser , Used Sub or Tahoe(2001 or 2002), or a Expedition. We want something that more then 5 people can ride in (that way when get where we want to be we can have more then just us ride in the car or we can take out of town people around when they are here and we do not have to have 2 cars).

Anyhow the best thing is the place that I work for I can get the invoice price on all GM and Fords. (Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Land Rover, Lincoln….) So the trailblazer with v6 and 4wd and 3row middle of the road truck is just under 30K and the Mazda MPV is just over 22K. the main reason I would go for the Mini Van is the 8K difference.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I think the front seat is safe in a K5. What if you had a single cab truck, you could not take your kid with you? Alot of steel around a K5 to protect the family! Start the boy off right, put him in the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've thrown mine in the front seat before. If you dont have a back seat, what the heck else are you supposed to do? He loves riding in "Daddy Truck". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

Re: Car Seat in a Blazer? *DELETED*

Post deleted by WakeBoard&4X4er

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

that is what i think!!! that and get driving boats ASAP!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif i will have him driving boats by 5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and Sking by 4!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Have you ever seen what a mini van looks like after an accident? Makes you wonder how anyone lived...

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I first got my Jimmy it had a 4" lift and 33's and we had the car seat in the middle of the rear bench because it was always the three of us in the truck. When my second daughter was born my truck was up to 35's and I was tired of the inconvenince so we bought a used Cherokee. 4 doors, seats 5 and gets decent mileage (compared to my Jimmy anyways) As much as I like My K5 the Cherokee does the family thing much better...

Now my truck has 5" of lift and 39.5's and the kids consider it a cool treat to ride in it once in a while. I usually put the youngest in her car seat up front...

I couldn't justify buying brand new for something that's gonna get covered in vomit and felt pen and whatever else the kids are gonna do to it...

Rene

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

we just bought a new Envoy, it's seats 7 people...so we put the two car seats in the back row and can still take 5 people in the truck.
    I have a full roll cage so I put the car seat in the back, there arms are to short so no worry if I do roll about them sticking out......

12. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

We've used the front and back seats. Air bag rule is what we go by. Also seat them facing backwards. Never had an issue, or a wreck for that matter.
    Marty--- /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My wifes DD is a 79 K5. Our 2 year old came home in that truck. Seat is in the front most of the time. My wife is small and if we all ahve to go somewhere she just hops in back and I drive. Last month the car seat has been in the back. Reall hassle but just haven't moved it back up front for the wife.
    I have thought about putting a cross bar bolted to a couple of the top bolts so we can use the tip strap most seats have these day's.

14. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

when I was a young one my father had an 81 jimmy and he took out the center console and bolted the child seat to the floor in its place /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, he used a plate and u-bolts through the floor, people thought it was a factory option cuz it looked so good /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I like that idea, I actually thought of that option when I had my 83 Jimmy and wife was pregnant with our first. I say just find an old seat, maybe a bucket and bolt it to the back floor. Or you an always find a nice bench to swap in up front.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I wonder what my wife would think about that. I wanted to replace the K5 with about a 90 Burb but she want's a "car". part of her issue about the K5 is the hight (she's 5ft 1). She loves the truck it's just not working well for her. I had thought about removing the center consol just to make it easier to get in and out of the back but maybe I'll put the seat in the center.

17. WakeBoard&4X4er

i think in 81 the seats where differnt then they are today. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif most baby stuff was. hell, i had one of the walker things with wheels will i when down a flight of Wood steps in one of those!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but we are talking in about '78. and i turned out KO!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I couldn't justify buying brand new for something that's gonna get covered in vomit and felt pen and whatever else the kids are gonna do to it...

[/ QUOTE ]
    haha! my dad wont let my mom buy a brand new car for almost the same reason! only difference is that he doesnt want her to mess it up. we were looking at audi a8s and infinity q45s, but he wont let her do it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

"when I was a young one my father had an 81 jimmy and he took out the center console and bolted the child seat to the floor in its place , he used a plate and u-bolts through the floor, people thought it was a factory option cuz it looked so good "

My dad did that with my brother.

20. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We actually traded the mini van for a Sport Trac. We liked the room it had inside it had 4 doors and a bed and could still carry the 4 of us. and it was 22k fully loaded in 2 wheel drive. I like the chevys but they are overpriced and I've never had bad luck with a ford as a daily driver. plus its got a 60k mile warranty which will last the wife till it runs out on time (5ys). but it'll be gone in 2 for a 2500 crew cab when we can afford it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif