Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car Selling Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Jul 22, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Okay, I need some thoughts on this one...

I've made my decision and my truck is the priority. So, I'm planning on putting my 1968 Pontiac GTO convertible up for sale. I've had success at the Air Force Base's resale lot (the lemon lot) with the last vehicle I sold, so I was thinking about putting it there. The problem is that I really only want people that are serious in buying the car. I don't want some 19 year old that just want's to drive a hot car for a bit (like I would have when I was 19).

Anyway, the question is; can I charge $50 per test drive? (refundable if you purchase the car ofcourse). Or, is there something else I could do to cut down on people lining up to drive it? I've been to a classic car place where you had to transfer the full cost of the car to them before a test drive. If you didn't buy it, you got it back. Any thoughts?

2. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Stick it in Hemmings Motor News, that way it'll get national coverage and unless the individual lives near you you won't have to worry about test drives.

By the way...lets see some pics. I love Goats. My buddy back in h.s. offered me his '68 Hardtop for $3500, unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time. This was back in 88 when musclecar prices were still reasonable, unlike today now that they have gone through the roof.

Andy

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

just dont let anyone drive it if you feel they are just gonna go take it out beat it then say they dont want it

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

better yet, anyone who wants a test drive, you go with them.

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

6. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I'm in love. What would you take for it? I'll give you my first born?!?!?! he he. OOWW...sorry honey. :D

7. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think charging for a test drive is reasonable, but like mentioned above, ride with them. That way they won't hot rod it unless you let them. keeps the test drive to a reasonable distance too.

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Every car I've ever bought, that was driveable, the owner rode with me on the test drive.

Oh, and what the heck is off to the left of your car in that picture?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice!!...

Pardon me while I DROOL !!!...I had a 69 GTO (hardtop) years ago--seeing your picture brought back many memories..like going around a rotary circle with one rear tire going 110 mph,and the other going 30 mph!...(no posi in my goat,but it had 4.11's!..and a 400 "YS" motor ,330 hp,and a TH400--NO P/S or Power brakes though!--it was a bear to stop over 65 mph!--and parking it sucked,until I put P/S in it)..

I can smell the "Polyglas GT" G60-14 tires burning still!..your car would bring 30K here in that condition I bet..I've seen junk GTO's sell for 5 grand with no problem around here,and they wern't convertibles either!...wish I kept mine..:doah: :crazy:

No way would I let anyone take it for a ride ALONE!!--you'll never see it again,or if you do,you'll wish you didnt..go with them by all means!..I agree Hemmings is a good place to post it for sale--not many "tire kickers" there,only serious buyers...:crazy:

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Like already stated, you should advertise your GTO in publications that specialize in classic cars. If you have "Trader" magazines in your area, they have one for classic cars called the "Classic Trader". Ebay may be a good place too. The lot you are talkking at on the base is probably only going to attract people looking for transportaion, and not a classic hot rod.