Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car/Toy trailer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at a new car/toy trailer...it has a 20 food deck and 7 feet wide between the fenders....has 2 3500 lb weight rated dexter axles with one set of breaks....it is made by big tex trailers..for 1900.00. Has anyone had any experance with this brand...good/bad i want to hear all!...i would like to get a trailer prior to the holister run...so its goin to be this weekend or not at all..
    by the way i am in the central valley of CA so if anyone knows of some better deals for a NEW not USED trailer let me know..thanks
    Chaz

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

2. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

What will you be hauling on that trailer? Only having 2 3500 lb axles seem a little weak to haul even one car/truck too me, Because that whould tell me the most the trailer could support including the weight of the trailer itself, Is 7000 lbs.

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well i figure it this way...my rig weighs 5500...and i still have 1500 lbs more to go...that is more than enough for me...i dont have 1500 lbs of gear to worry about...so for my needs i think it would work..i am just more worried about the quality of the trailer...is Big Tex a good brand...i would like to get a nice featherlite trailer but thos are just wayyy too far out of my price range..i was lookin at spending no more than 2500 with tax and licence.

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Big Tex is a good brand. 20' Seems pretty long for a 7000 lb. trailer, 16 is the most common. I bought a trailer last March, a 7000 lb trailer was not enough for my truck. I bought an 18', 10,000 lb trailer, I think it's a Diamond T. Make sure you get one with 83-84" between the fenders, mine is and I still have to drive over the fenders to get the truck on. You may want to measure your front end, if it is too wide get one with removable fenders or heavy duty ones, mine are diamond plate and I haven't had any problems driving over them yet. (My front end is 88-89" wide.)

My truck weighed in at 5700 lbs with the hardtop and no gas, back seat, gear, or people. A 7000 lb trailer weighs around 1500 empty.

As for brakes, the regulations vary by state. In CO, you must have brakes on all 4 wheels by law.

When looking, in general, 7000 lb trailers have 5 lug wheels, 10k's have 6, and 12k's have 8. Check the sidewall of the tires to make sure they are rated to carry enough weight, it is not uncommon to find brand new trailers with underrated tires. This is a very cost competitive business, compare your choices carefully.

I bought mine a year old for $1900, it is $2550 new. A buddy bought a 16', 7000 lb at the same time for $1700 new. These both have 4 wheel brakes.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

How much does the trailer itself weigh? If it weighs less than that 1500 lbs extra than you'll be ok, Because everything will be under the axles maximum weight limit. I don't know anything about brands of trailers, So I can't tell you if Big Tex is a good brand or not, I'm just tring too make sure you won't be over loading this rig with whatever you'll be putting on it.

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dident even think to add the weight of the trailer its self...geez i should have known...i deal with this stuff everyday...my family owns a trailer mfg. company but we build them for semis....we could not build a car trailer for the price i can buy one else where other wise i would just draw one up and get goin on it....but now that you go me thinkin i am goin to have to find at least a 10k lb trailer...if i stack my rig on the top its already at its limit with the hard top off and full of gas...i am goin to check out one more dealer at lunch today and see what i can find.. thanks for all the input!

Ok i just got back from lookin at another dealer....the only one they carried that was 10,000 gvw was only 80" wide between the fenders.....they had one 7,000 gvw trailer with a tilt back type of thing that the fenders came off...but the cost was way up there...it was 3500 for that...+ it dident have a covered center so the only thing it was good for is hauling a car or truck....i want something i can use for other things also....the compairable trailers to the big tex trailers were about 500 more...and it dident look like the quality was as good...welds looked bad and none of the edges were cleaned up well....and a few spots missed when painting..etc etc...so i am still leaning towards the big tex....dose anyone else know of any other trailer dealers neer the stockton/lodi CA area.....i have been to the lockeford hay station in lockeford. and B-C trailers in manteca...i dont know of anymore other than thos...anyone else have any ideas?

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by chaz88k5 on 07/03/01 12:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>