Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Car trailer pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 18, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Looking for pics of people's car trailers...
    Do most of you that have car trailers have to drive over your fenders?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you're wider than stock and your car hauler isn't over the wheels, then yes, you'll have to drive over. On an 83" deck trailer, a stock rig will fit with about 1" on each side to spare. I've loaded a '79 K5 with no spacers and 38x13x16 TSLs and managed to sqeeze it through but it was whining and squeeling all the way. We loaded an '86 K5 on Dan's trailer with 35x12.50x15 MTR's and it was no go, no way. 3.5" BS 10" rims. What you have to do is drive over one fender so there is some weight on it, not 3/4" of tire. That said, do I have any pics? NO. I did put a nice wrinkle in dan's new fenders though with the '87!~~ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Most lifted trucks you will have to drive over the fenders.
    What I did was weld a Tube the same angles as the fenders
    but put the tubbing about 1 inch above the fenders so that when you go to load you just drive over the fenders and the tube.
    most of the weight is on the tube so no damage will be done to the fenders.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking for pics of people's car trailers...
    Do most of you that have car trailers have to drive over your fenders?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Make the fenders removable. The car trailer I barrow has no fenders at all .I think the deck is 85 inches wide. With a fat set of tires on the truck the edge of the tire just hangs over. I could have got the stock 79 on it with the fenders in place.

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I built my trailer. 18ft with a 2ft dovetail, 2 7000lb axles, both with brakes. The frame and tounge are 5" channel with a wood deck. The fenders are 1/8" and were made by a local trailer shop. They are reinforced enough to drive over. It is virtually impossible to make a trailer wide enough to drive anything other than a stock blazer between the fenders b/c most will be over the legal limit for width. The only option to not having drive over fenders is a deck-over axle, and then it's really high in the air. Here's a pic....
    [​IMG]

BIGJ

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Nice trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Since you can only pull the truck forward until the rear tires get to the fenders, is there any problem getting enough tongue weight?

I borrowed a 16' trailer (83" between the fenders) from a friend to haul home a '77 1-ton and it fit easily with stock 16" steel wheels and 235/85R16 tires.

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Nope, no problem with the tongue weight. I was concerned about it before the first tow, but I can squeeze the rear tires between the fenders just enough that it's not a problem. I've even had the rear tires off of the fenders just a few inches, and it didn't make a difference. It hauls surprisingly well on the highway. The tongue is a little high in the pic, that was the first load up with the blazer. I have readjusted the hitch and set it a little lower since then.

BIGJ

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

nice trailer, that is next on my list of things to build /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Here is mine, loaded and ready to go to Pueblo to play tomorrow. It is a 37 foot deck gooseneck Titan with a 5 foot dove tail. The deck is 102 inches wide and the overall length with the hitch is 46 feet. I have three 7,000 lb axles (torsion) under it. The empty weight is about 7,500 lbs. It pulls great and I can put 2 full size pickups on it.

[​IMG]

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

gawdamn, that thing is a monster, You got a CDL for that SOB... jk... nice setup

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

CDL...Hmmmmm, naw. it is registered at 26, 0.99 pounds. you do not need a CDL until 26,001 pounds.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I was looking at that pic, it looks like it is bending, it isn't, here is the other side.

[​IMG]