Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb and intake question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by paddyjim, Apr 26, 2002.

1. paddyjim

paddyjim Registered Member

Starting to pick up the necessary parts for the 1984 k5. It is basically going to be a daily driver. Might go off road or on to the sand dunes on the weekend. May pull a small pop up camper. Need some advice as to the best carb / intake combination to put on the mild 350 (reconditioned Marshall engine) that is being dropped in. I have been looking at Edelbrock. It seems as though this is the most popular carb. Would appreciate all of your opinions on the subject. If you have part numbers that would be helpful as well. Thanks

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have always liked the Edelbrock performer intakes for mildly modified engines, or for just wanting to upgrade from the stock cast iron intakes. As far as carbs go, I recently tried one of the Edelbrock's, I didn't like the way it performed compared to my Quadrajet. My opinion is that a Quadrajet is the best carb for off-road use.

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i like the weiand stealth intake myself. and for carb, i have had a few edelbrock carbs and didnt like them. im a holley man, most around here dont like them for the off-road problems. but for daily use and performance its hard to beat them. just keep them clean and learn how to adjust idel mix and you are set. for a mild small block i would use the holley #80145 , its a dual feed 600cfm, vac. sec.

4. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I've got an 85k5 and got the new truck avenger from holley, it's an easy bolt on 670 cfm w/ vacume feeds. They say it will maintain an idle at a 45 degree tilt in any direction, I don't know about the "at idle " part but I can attest to it powering out of a 45 degree incline. I'd also look at the MSD 6offroad ignition.

5. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Edelbrock or weidand manifold in the idle to 5500 range are both excellent choices. I personally would run a q-jet or a 600 cfm edelbrock/carter with the off-road needle and seats.