Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Base Rebuilding, or Rebuilt units...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 28, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need a new carb base to mate to my Impco 425. I have a Holley 600 base but the throttle shaft holes are worn out. When I ran this carb on my K5 it had a problem with a sticking throttle and I could never get it tuned right, well now I see the throttle shafts are worn out and it was probably causing a vacuum leak. Anyway, all I need is a square bore base, I don't want to buy a whole carb to get a new base but I'd like to get a 650 or 750 base, vs the 600 I have. An

Anyway does anyone know where I can get a kit to rebuild a holley base? Or ever done it yourself that you can give me tips? Or know of someplace that sells new or rebuilt units cheaper than this?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There is a tool kit made to use 5/16" thin wall bronze valve guide liners in Holley throttle shaft bores. If you have a carb shop in your area they should either have the tools or know somewhere to get it done.
    If not, there is a shop near me that can do that work.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah only know of one carb shop locally, but not sure I care for them. I'll look into it more shops. Guy who does my engine stuff said "yeah they can be rebuilt" and that was it... Helpful. I can move the primary and secondary shaft a little bit, way more than I like.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

CAme across these folks: CarbsUSA while looking for fuel pumps for my 50 gallon tank conversion. No idea if good, bad, or otherwise. Looks like they're in NJ somewhere, which a whole closer than the shop I know of.