Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Change Over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Luehrs1, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Luehrs1

Luehrs1 Registered Member

Does anyone know all the steps need to change a '89 Blazer to a carborated setup rather than setup with the computer.

Patrick

2. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

You have to buy a knew intake because the throttle body has a different bolt pattern than a carb. Unless someone makes a spacer that could convert it over.

3. Luehrs1

I have an edelbrock intake in it right now.

4. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

That intake was designed for the original TBI not a carb.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Tell you what , if you don't want a computer , and never adjusting the air fuel , and never want to idle on your side , send it to me , I'll send you a carb :D

I actually LOVE my carb , but if I had the money , I would go fuel injection on both trucks . Your whole truck is setup for it anyway :deal:

6. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

The actual intake to convert it to a carb has a different bolt pattern. If your valve covers have four bolts in the middle, a normal carburated intake will not work. Jegs has a conversion intake for your application.

7. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Why do you want to go backwards in technoligy? What's wrong with your TBI?

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Besides a manifold
    You will need a new old style HEI dist .
    You either need An adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a bypass for the fuel return line if you are going to use the stock intank pump. Dont hook it up without the fuel return or a regulator because the pressure is way too high for a carb and or your pump will burn out in a short time without a return line.
    OR
    A low pressure fuel pump designed to be used with a carb.

I really dont understand Why you would want to go thru all that hassle and $$$ to go back to the Carbeurator stone age.:confused: TBI is way better.

9. Luehrs1

I have been having so many problems with the computer and timing and fuel pumps and so on that i figured it would be easier to switch it out and not deal with sensors and such.

10. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

These GM TBI systems are proven reliable. Other than maybe an O2 sensor every 100,000 to 150,000 miles!

I have a 93 Chevy Caprice 9C1 police car as a daily driver with 141,000 miles. TBI system very simalar to yours. Received the maintenence records with it. So far I have replaced the O2 sensor, no other record of EFI repair, few fuel filters as maintenece.

In the end your going to have more work and money going backwards then fixing what you got.

What's wrong with it? Have you checked for trouble codes?

11. Luehrs1

yea it said it was the o2 sensor but upon further troubleshooting found out the chip was not stock and was bad so i replaced it with the factory one. Also there are headers on it instead of exahust manifolds so the o2 sensor goes out faster and i have a short somewhere that i havent been able to find yet. It is also borred 30 over and is stroked and cant get the timing right. so i figured with all these problems it might be easier to just go back to the simplist form.

12. pauly383

Are you settign the timing where it needs to be for the computer to work right ? Or did you try to set it yourself to try and get performance ? Are the original owner , or did others mess it up , like the wiring etc ? Give all the details , there are computer savvy guys here that know way more about TBI than I forgot about carbs :k5: :k5:

I would absolutely love a stock one , set to stock settings , I don't need to go fast , just need to climb over rocks :D

13. Luehrs1

I tried to set the timing to the specs but cause of the stroker kit i cant get it right. i know about the problem with the o2 sensor but i dont want to put exhaust manifolds on but it looks like ill have to so that the o2 sensor doesnt burn up. so tomorrow ill know more one i put a new o2 sensor in. if it fixes the problem ill go from there. i did get it like this. i bought it from a friend that got it from a guy that did all sorts of weird things to it. 305 heads on a 350 pluss the headers. so im kind of trying to fix all the mistakes so that i have a decent running truck.

14. pauly383

Ok , you have some motor issues here . I am no expert but I would be willing to bet that some 350 heads , throttle body work like injectors or big block throttle body , fuel pressure regulator , and a chip are in order :dunno: