Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb change

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerman, Sep 7, 2001.

1. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

My carb is on its last leg for sure and I'm kicking around with what to replace it with. I'm looking for something to give me the best overall improvement in mileage,power,torque,etc. It has been and probably will soon again be my daily driver, so economy is important. What do all of you think? Is going with a new q-jet the best bet, or going to some form of fuel injection? And what kind of differences have you seen with these swaps?
    Thanks! blazerman

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazerman on 09/07/01 11:07 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run the Edelbrock 1901 Q-jet. It is a great carb and I've had it on my rig for 6yrs now and that carb has not skiped a beat!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I second Burt. I asked the same question a few months ago. I got the EDL-1901 carb, i think summit has the best price. I got mine a few months ago. I just set the idle and have not even seen it since. do a search for carbs you'll find some good info.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

4. blazerman

Have either of you seen an improvement in economy? That would be the biggest reason I would consider some sort of fuel injection. But it is a big chuck of change compared to the 1901.
    Lane

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I used to get up to 16-17mpg on the freeway when running with 31x10.5x15 and 3.08 diffs. Now I am running 33x12.5x15 and it's a dog in the city. i droped down to about 13-14 with the bigger tires and the same diff. It must be the wind drag or somthing, i just feel it weaker with bigger tires. I would say as long as you don't step on it all the time you'd get good MPGs.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Port fuel injection *might* buy you a little gas mileage, but it will take decades to recoup the price of the setup in gas savings over a properly set-up Quadrajet. What about your carburetor is bad? Most often, they can be rebuilt without having to buy a new carburetor. A good rebuilder (I know a few) will also be able to set up the jetting, power piston, accelerator pump, etc. for your engine combination (or at least get it so close that you probably won't know that it is just a mite off).

7. blazerman

Several parts of the actual casing are either cracked or broken. We (a mechanic friend and I) have tried to rig it up to make it work, and got about 2 more years out of it. So unless the rebuild kit includes a new housing, it's probably out of the question.

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!