Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Cleaning Tip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Mar 5, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I bought some berryman Chem-Dip and am very un-impressed. The carb had a corrosion in it that was white and light rust. ChemDip didn't touch it.

I had a gallon of off-brand CLR in the shed so I mixed it CLR:Water 1:2 ratio (for a total of 3 parts) and dipped the parts in it for about 2-3 minutes. Build up and rust gone with no harm to the carb. Also, the carbon deposits loosened up.

CAUTION: as acid is harmful to Aluminum, don't soak the parts long. Dilute the CLR. It will ruin the carb. The Aluminum will react STRONGLY in acid and will eat it away.

The time I had the carb in the CLR did not even take the shiny finish off the carb, but it will if put in too strong or left in too long. I can't stress this enough. Let sit in bucket of water after to make sure you get CLR off.

After this I soaked the carb overnight in Chen-Dip. I didn't see where it did much good at all above the CLR. Chem-Dip sucks IMO, but it may be good for other deposits. If you have white crystalline buildup or light rust you may want to try CLR. Works on other things too.

Anybody have any other tips on carb cleaning? I'm working on one now that has about 1 month running time on it but it sat up. It is an Edelbrock Performer 600. Does anyone have good experience with Chem-Dip?

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I use the dip that Napa sells, it works great but you need to have adequate ventilation, as the fumes are toxic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

I have used the NAPA dip and would agree it works well.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have resurrected severly oxidized carbs from briggs and stratton lawnmowers and antique cars with good results by soaking them in battery electrolyte for 15 minites and flushing with lots of water--this will eat brass parts like floats and jets though,so be sure all metering rods,etc are removed first.A friend of mine uses sani-flush toilet bowl cleaner or vanish, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand it works well too.As for store bought stuff,the stuff in the dip baskets like c.r.c.,and solder seal work good too--but not much better than the toilet bowl cleaners,in my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif