Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb/distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jun 16, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

This is my first K-5 and AM I pleased!!! I only have a couple problems that I hope the rest of you experienced owners can help with. I've had to eliminate the emissions equiptment due to the fact that half of it was already torn apart and I have NO clue how to work with all that spaghetti that comes with it.(plus there are NO inspections here!!!) I need to know if I can retain the original carb and distributor. The carb is a quadrajet without any computer connections... but the distributor does have the comp. harness with a 4 wire connector. I do not believe that this vehicle has an ECM so why is there a computer harness?? Can I just disconnect it ?? I'd appreciate any suggestions .........

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't disconnect the distributor since it then would not run, and yes you can keep the current carb, what year is your Blazer? I don't know what year they went to computer controlled carbs but had one on a 81 monte Carlo. You should have GM HEI Ignition and the wires that go into the distributor are the ones that power it :P

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

3. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

I guess it might help if I posted the model year .....1985. I too would of expected that the carb be electric.. Then again it might not be original. As far as the distributor....Will it function properly considering that there are none of the emission pieces installed anymore??

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

If it doesn't have an ecm then it should function, maybe someone here can help with more info. Since mine is '78 and there is definately no ECM :P

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I installed a new 350 in my blazer and I kept the old Q-jet. You just need to cap off the vacuum ends you dont use on the carb.

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a '84 and it sounds like you have the same setup as mine. I pulled all the emissions crap too and have had no problems, if anything it runs better! I do not have an ECM on mine and the HEI works just fine. Just be sure to plug the vaccum ports that you are no longer gonna use and your K5 should be happy.

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, and dont disconnect the distributer harness !

Good luck !

8. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 K5 with a 305 motor, 700R4 tranny, and 208 transfer case. I had the same problem you have. The previous owner had removed some of the emissions equipment and left hoses unplugged and it ran like crap. To solve this problem I replaced the computorized distributor with a non computorized one from a 1979 4x4 that has the 4 pin module. I then replaced the partial computorized Quadrajet with a new Edelbrock Quadrajet model # 1904. If your truck is computorized the ECM will be located behind the glove box. Also if the carb is the original and it is also computorized, as you stand in front of the truck with the hood up and the air cleaner off, you will see a 2 wire plug in connector on the top left front of the carb. I believe that this is the idle mixture valve which is controlled by the computer. I disconnected the computer behind the glove box, followed the instructions that came with the new carb and eliminated a bunch of uneeded vacuum hoses. I then discovered that I couldn't use the factory recommended timing and presently have it set at 4 degrees BTC and it runs good and has a lot more pep, and I believe is getting better mileage. If you have the same computer set up and decide to go with something similar to what I have done, DO NOT eliminate the hoses going to or from the charcoal cannister. One of these hoses is for fuel venting and should be left alone for safety reasons (this is what I was told).......good luck.