Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb fuel tank --> efi pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebywanna, Jan 5, 2004.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

im trying to mount an efi fuel pump (out of '98 camaro) in the old fuel tank ('77 K20), the openings are different, i was going to "move" the new opening but that requires metal working skills i don't really have.

so i could go new tank with custom opening, anyone make those? the cheaper the better, and has to have at least close to original capacity, and don't want to mount it in the bead, got other plans for that space.
    or should i give up and get an external pump, which i really don't want to do since i already have the camaro pump and all the lines.

jim

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you going to an EFI setup? If you are then I would get a holley inline fuel pump because you will have to get a custom tank made to work for that camaro pump. If you are staying carbed than why do you wan't an electric pump? You would just have to put a regulator on it and bring it down from 30 something psi to around 5psi. I would stick with a mechanical pump if you are staying carbed.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you going to an EFI setup? If you are then I would get a holley inline fuel pump because you will have to get a custom tank made to work for that camaro pump. If you are staying carbed than why do you wan't an electric pump? You would just have to put a regulator on it and bring it down from 30 something psi to around 5psi. I would stick with a mechanical pump if you are staying carbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run a carb with an electric pump. As long as you get one for a carb engine no regulator is needed.

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I run a carb with an electric pump. As long as you get one for a carb engine no regulator is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I relize that... He has a pump out of a camaro that is designed for FI.

5. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

DO YOU NEED ONE OUT OF THE CAMARO FOR A SPECIEL REASON ?
    JUST GET A TANK OUT OF A 87-91 SUBURBAN (31 GALLON NOT THE 40 GAL)OR BLAZER, GET TANK AND PUMP
    SHOULD WORK GOOD ?

6. rjfguitar

Twitch, please respond. Are you going to a fuel injection setup or is it and staying carbed?

7. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

sorry, takes me a while to respond, im on here once every 24/48 hours, work permitting.

that fuel pump puts out enough preassure for a 58psi reg., so its got some kick, and yes im going EFI, thats the sole purpose for the pump, i have a 98 camaro motor under the hood (LS1 inside /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and now i need to feed it.

would the suburban tank have the right kind of opening? 87-91 were still carbed days, weren't they? and i need one to fit a pick up, so one out of a K5 wouldn't work, isn't a burban tank like a K5 tank?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll need the tank out of an 87-91 pick-up. You'll need the sender too.

Essentially plug and play, you might have to screw with the pump a bit to make it fit the TBI sender, but it's not hard. Grab all the fuel pump wiring from the donor that you can as well. BTDT.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

87 P/U is the first year for EFI. I looked in the Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide Domestic. They say all Fuel tanks both 16 and 20 gallon tanks are the same for C/K 78-86 and R/V 87-91.. Just should need to get a 87-91 Pump.

Is this in your 4X4? Aren't you afraid of the water on the front of the engine where the Distributer is? You did say a LS1. I was thinking about the LT1, just don't know about the distributer....

10. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

Not intending to hijack or anything, but are you serious that the 40 gallon pump won't work in the 31 gallon tank? If that's true my TBI swap is going to be put off even longer than it already is... I thought the 40 gallon tank was just a little longer, not deeper. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this...

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Someone may have better info than my Mitchell Book but it says that 87-91 Suburban Takes the same pump on gas model

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I checked on one I pulled out of a 40 gallon tank, and it was EXACTLY the same as the 31 gallon sender. GM parts manual said they were different, and I can't vouch that the one I pulled was original to that tank, but it was identical. No reason it shouldn't have been, unless the 40 gallon tanks are different, which I don't believe is the case.

13. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

Awesome. Thanks a lot, that's good news. Now I have all the parts for my swap.

Steven

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

twitch needs to find an 87-up tank