Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb guru's, your help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Feb 9, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

carb guru\'s, your help please

ive purchased an 85 quadrajet from the local scrap yard and im in the process of getting another. my question is do i have to run the electrical connections(besides electrical choke) to get it to function properly ? it looks like they lead to sending units monitoring antifreeze temp ? or do i have to go back ang get these sending units from the scrap yard to, or can i mod the carb or just disconnect them ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifthanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif btw, i want to put this on my 79' blazer with stock manifold.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: carb guru\'s, your help please

I would go back and drop that carb in the trash!! and get a carb from an earlier truck. Personally, I hate Q-Jets. I have nothing but problems with them. You can use one with an electric choke, but stay away from the others with electronics on them.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How many connectors does it have? (excluding the choke)

If you can exchange it, do so. If not, the one connector style SHOULD work ok, but it will still have that extra stuff on it that you don't need, that COULD cause issues. Not likely, but still, another possibility.

You can't make the two connector one work without the entire CCC system. (ECM, O2, etc)

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

it has two connectors(besides choke). one on each side of the front of the carb. i kept the plug in wire parts (just cut the wires) just in case they WHERE needed. any more info would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. dyeager535

You can't run that carb.

Well, you CAN, but will run full rich ALL the time on the primary side, unless you hook up the computer, along with everything else. (so you'd need a car or truck ECM, O2 in the manifold, Baro pressure sensor, ECm temp sensor, and so on)

You'll get horrible mileage even with a 305, if its always full rich. That carb was made to be run with an ECM, and it cannot be converted in any way shape or form to run even halfway correctly without one.

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i got a question for.......these sensors ran to manifold only, how do these affect the other stuff ?

7. dyeager535

Ok, I just gotta clarify...no telling what someone else has added/changed, and since there are some other variations of the Q-jet, we better make sure we are on the same page.

One connector on the passenger side, top of carb. Likely blue, angled towards the passenger rear of the vehicle. 2 wire. Thats either mix control, or the dual capacity pump.

On the drivers side, front of carb, there MIGHT be a three wire connector. Usually white, angled towards the intake at about a 30* angle. That's TPS.

Now, the only thing I can think of is that you have a dual capacity pump carb, with a throttle kicker (which is one wire for all that I have seen or know) of some type on the drivers side. BUT, if you have the TPS, that carb won't work.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ok chief, heres what i got. all original wiring. on p-sidefront of carb, dual wire connector, both brown wires. d-side of carb, one wire connector, green color. if ya need more, or better descriptions, i can give em' to ya.btw, here's the carb number....17085226 1415 hly. thanks for all your help so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

older post
    "Read the '86 preliminary manual last night.

That's a dual capacity pump. It's purpose is to provide extra fuel for cold engine idle-cruise transition. At 170* the solenoid energizes, eliminating the supply of additional fuel used for the cold temp transition period. If it were me I'd leave it alone, it hurts nothing, disconnected, it would unnecessarily hurt mileage."

Sounds to me like thats what you have.

Still not optimal if you don't want to run the dual capacity pump, or if you don't want to take the chance of it failing. Dunno how you check, perhaps you can hear it, but I'd try hooking one of the wires up to 12v, the other to ground, and see what happens. Reverse the wires if nothing happens one way.

Still not the best plan, but if you can figure out how to wire it up so that the pump was always energized, you would be able to forget about it, at least until (if) it failed.

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

sounds right, thanks alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

That is the same carb I have. M4MED, 17085226. When I bought my Blazer it did not have the dual capacity pump, the air horn had been changed from a carb that didn't have one. (M4ME)ie the air horn from a non dual capacity carb will bolt right on to the body of your carb. Problem solved. The single wire connector is for the throttle solenoid, it increases throttle stop when the AC is on to maintain same idle rpm.
    Almost all old junkyard carbs have worn out bushings in the the throttle shaft of the base plate. Aside from throttle sticking problems (won't idle down) this provides vacuum leaks that adversely effect the idle circuit.
    Most people here seem to have good luck with Jet rebuilts, I found www.carbs.net but don't know anything about the quality of their products.

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

good info dude. kick ass. you ought to have this put in the tech forum. you got pics, i could use those. i just get another non-electrical quad and bolt on air horn huh ? cool. get back to me, please, once again, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member