Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Help (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Oct 25, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Please look at pictures below....

Tell me what is wrong in the picture, and what looks good.

The line highlighted in red is not long enough, So I had to "jimmy" up an extension... I was told it is a line that controls or does something with the tranny/shifting... Why isnt it long enough? How do I know how long to have it? What is that line do?

Also, the line highlighted in yellow, that of course isnt correct... Why is it wrong? What am I missing?..

Any pictures of this carb on a truck with the correct hook-up procedures would be great! I believe its a edelbrock 1400 or something like that.

Thanks in advance! :wink1:

carb.JPG

carb2.JPG

carb3.JPG

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The side of you carb says weber so not sure what the carb is.
    The spring is probally ok its just you return spring
    the other thing is what controls your trans if you have a 700r4 find that out first but it looks like it may be a 700r4.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Please god tell me you don't have a 700-R4 and you haven't been driving it like that.

4. socal chevy

I have a 700r4 Tranny. No I havent been driving it... I only drove it about 7 miles with the lines hooked up they way they are......

oh and the "weber" is a spacer for the carb.

5. socal chevy

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For starters , get the right throttle bracket for the intake . That will help . GM offers them new under PN 22504927.[​IMG]

And you need the right linkage stuff , you can cobble it kinda half way right :D

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1009/

[​IMG]

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It an early Edelbrock clone...

Webber did make the Carter AFB clones that eventually were bought up by Edelbrock..same difference..

I see you have a "custom" throttle cable bracket--it IS adjustable..if you loosen those two screws ,and push it forward all the way,is the throttle valve cable is still too short??..if so,then you might have to figure a way to lenghten it,or possibly buy a longer one?..

The return spring will work where it is..but actually,I think the hole its in is the one the accelerator cable belongs in! (at least thats the hole mine is in..I used a 1/4" bolt with a nut on it to act as a bushing in that "big" hole,and double nuts to hold the cable to it)..my accelerator cable had a hole in the end instead of the "clip on " ball stud thingy..

The detent or "throttle valve" cable is in the hole where the return spring goes on my Edelbrock! --I used the stock GM double springs that anchored on the bracket in the rear of the carb..I think they put less stress on the bushings in the carb that way..plus the security of having 2 springs instead of one,should one break or come off.. :crazy:

It took me a lot longer to hook up the accelerator cable and detent cable on my TH350,than it did to put the carb on!..I think its the worst part of installing a carb!--and the most critical,since any screw ups here can burn the tranny up,or send you careening out of control when it sticks wide open... :crazy:

8. socal chevy

So what parts do I need to buy to make the thing right?... Can I drive it the way it is?... I am very "green" and dont know very much, so I need more help than usual. What parts do I need and where can I buy them?

I looked for the part number but I couldnt find it!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  9. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

what I would do for the transmission cable is go to the hardware store, buy a short length of wire rope, a cable end for hooking that wire rope to your bracket (like the one that is laready on the cable right now), and a cable ferrule, join the new cable to the old cable and hook it to your carb bracket. OR, just get a whole new cable, that is long enough to replace the old one without using a joiner, and just get new cable ends to hook it to the trans end and the carb bracket end, like the ends that are already on there.

All that cable does is kick down the transmission to alower gear when it is pulled past a certain point (like wide open throttle), so some adjustment may be necessary afterwards.

10. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

yo, monster , I see your on. I like your new pic. with your new paint in the rocks. I think it's time for me to join. This is the best site I've ever seen, someone always has the answer and I love throwing my 2 cents in when I think I know something. Once I throw down how long till I'm able to see and do the cool members only stuff. Thank's, Cary.

11. monster man

I was able to immediately via PayPal. Yeah, there's a lot near my work with a piles of rocks- not really a long bed's forte but still fun :D

12. dyeager535

That cable is what makes a 700R4 live. I got exactly 13 miles with a GM TV cable disconnected before the tranny was shot.

TV cable is nowhere near the same as a detent cable on a TH350.

13. monster man

yikes- good thing he didn't drive it, I thought they were one and the same :o

14. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

15. socal chevy

So what do suggest I do to fix it?

16. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

17. dyeager535

You can see the adjuster in the picture (it's just rearward of the bracket) but with that kind of slop in the cable, it's going to get nowhere near the tension it requires.

I'm sorry I don't follow TV threads, but that is one reason I'm not running a 700R4.

There have been a lot of threads on adjusting the TV on a 700, and I know there are a few setups that require different mounting options. Only suggestion I have is to do a search on the 700R4 and tv cable. :confused:

18. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best help I got with the TV cable is from the Haynes manual then watching my tranny guy do it fight in my V8 powered van. Basically the TV cable tells the tranny how much pressure to put in the tranny, shift points and the whole nine yards are affected. Its kind off hard to explain but you push the lock in the side of the cable mount the depress the gas pedal all the way and that will move the cable to where it needs to go. The way your cable is hooked up though its not going to work.