Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Aug 13, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

does the edelbrock 1405 carb have a power valve? i went to start my blazer today and it backfired through the carb and now it dont want to idle and is running very rich. any ideas?

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

There's not a power valve like a holley but it does have two power pistons that might be stuck. Check out edelbrock's site they have a great online manual that deals with theory of operation, rebuilding and tuning for high performance.

Wish all manufacturers documented their stuff that well!!

here's the link http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html

3. mudhog

that is a great site thank you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Edelbrock pulled the same crap on me this morning...fired it up to move it out of the way and within 20 seconds it began to flood. Mines a 1406 though. It was barely running by the time I got it back into the carport.

My wife was giving me a hard time cuz of all the smoke...grrr.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

I took the top of mine off and cleaned the needle and seat, reset the float level, cleaned the float bowls and blew out the primary jets...it works good now again.

Here's another Edelbrock link that might help a little.

http://www.ih8mud.com/

Rene

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

When I first started to run my 1405, I was using those Glass gas filters. These things are CRAP! It let in all sorts of little bits. Screwed up my jets.
    I replaced the glass filter with a FUEL-INJECTIOn type filter. I didn't have this jet problem again.
    Now if only the 1405 ran on a hill greater than 45 degrees...

7. tRustyK5

I'm gonna try the FI filter. I have the crappy glass filter right now and I couldn't believe how dirty the float bowls were. My guess is there was something stuck in the primary metering jet...

Rene

8. mudhog

thanks for the info guys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yep,

When I re-read the 1405 manual, it too states how sensitive their carbs are to debris in the jets...
    I had to use a metal wire to clean my jets. I couldn't believe simply blowing them out did not work for me. I almost went back to my Q-jet!

FYI: I tried the "off-road kit" and lowering the floats, it still would flood my motor at more than a 45 degree angle. Took it all apart and found the upper assembly doesn't seal the air venturis to the float chamber... hence the gas gets dumped into the engine. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

FUEL INJECTION!!!

Good luck to all.

10. mudhog

i also have the flooding thing happen to me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i have a q-jet here ready to go on does it do better offroad?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Have you guys changed the needles and seats to the off-road versions and adjusted the float level to the off-road recommended level? I have teh Edelbrock also and honestly the thing works great. Uphill and down, up to at least 45 degree angles, and sidehilling to beyond my comfort level is no problem anymore. I know that the folks on CK5 hate the Edelbrock, but I love mine. </font color>

12. mudhog

yes i do have the off road set in mine and it used to do good but now it is always running rich no matter what i do and now its doing this stuff i have even rebuilt it and still the same thing im thinking of just taking it off and running one of the q-jets i have /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. tRustyK5

Mine is all better now...just some crud in one of the jets. I did the vacuum line trick to limit side to side fuel overflow on side hills, but no off road kit yet. I also lowered the floats a little. I have never had a stumble from hard bumps or anything, just steep uphill or down hill and almost any sidehill will flood it out. We'll see how it reacts to the changes...

Rene

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The Q-jets are supposed to be good if you vent the vent line with a fuel line out.

The fun part is getting the Q-jet to work well with a MOD motor. As with anything, when you know how to modify the q-jet it will be easy. It's learning that was hard for me (over six years ago). I rebuilt that thing three times until I saved enough for an Edelbrock. What a GREAT carb - ON THE STREET!
    Off-road kit, lowered the floats, and a presesure regulator on it... I turned that down to 2 PSI, it STILL FLOODED!!!
    I also got ~15 MPG with the Edelbrock.

Fuel Injection BABY!!! It's all about the FI. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thats a good site.it would help if i knew what all the parts were that they were talking about.it looked like jibberish to me.i better learn my abc's of carbs before reading that one again /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. mudhog

i am going with a tpi on the new motor but just dont have the money for it right now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif how do you do the vent thing?

17. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

On the Q-jet???

It's tuff. IIRC you need to get a longer brass piece and pull out the OEM one from the center and replace it. If your lucky, the OEM one has a long enough neck to put on a regular fuel line.

18. mudhog

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif your talking about the brass tube sticking out by the primarys? it is long enough to put a hose on it but where would it go?

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You just want it longer so it doesn't flood back into the intake on steep angles.

20. mudhog

ahhhhh so where do i rout it to? i dont want gas just pouring out anywhere lol