Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb high idle solenoid - Holley

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, May 1, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm running a holley 3310-1 carburetor with AC. Anyone ever run one of those fast idle solenoids that kick up the idle? I'd like to bump the idle from 800 to 1000 or so when the compressor kicks on. Yeah, I could just bump the idle up but that would be annoying around town and diesel a lot on shutdown.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know my '83 had a throttle kicker that was tied into the AC, or so I thought, and I know there are some that are used solely to keep the throttle open a little under deceleration, if you are inquiring about possible donor applications?

Of course, those were all Q-jets, but I suspect with a fabricated bracket they could be made to work. Some (all?) were even adjustable in how much "throw" you got out of them.

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can get a throttle kicker for a holley. Heck I have an odd ball 4165 (like a 4160, but spread bore secondaries) and have a solonoid on it to kick the idle up. Mine is without a/c but it's used as an anti-dieseling device. When the key is on, it kicks the idle to the desired speed I set so that the carb's idle speed setting is low (throttle blades closed). this way when the key is shut off, the solonoid retracts and allows the throttle blades to shut completely, eliminating the dieseling on shut off.

It's just a solonoid so you can wire it in to come on when the compressor clutch is on to kick up the idle.

Go look at holley's website you can look up parts by the carb's model #. I remember seeing the bracket when I was looking up stuff for my 4165 so they should have it for yours too.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status