Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Sep 8, 2004.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a spacer between my intake and carb. I was wondering if I could mill it down at an angle, letting the front of the carb be lower than the back. My theory is that this would somewhat help with steep hills.
    Now that I think about it, it would prob hurt me down hill though. This prob a bad idea. But any thoughts? God I wish I had fuel injection. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the qjet will handle more down angle than side and front angles as the jets are in the front. i say do it. i can't believe i haven't thought of it, one great idea. you don't need any gas when going down hill anyway, but you should have enough to keep it idleing.

3. clarkjw24

Yeah I think the down angles won't be so bad. I'm just looking for a little more for those inclines, untill some fuel injection drops in my lap. When I get much over this angle I start to load the carb. I could do alot more if I could keep the gas there. Doing the spacer like that would give me a few more degrees.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what kinda carb you running?
    i run the stock qjet and i can hit some nasty angles and it doesn't die or load up. i hit about 45* uphill and the same down this last weekend.

5. clarkjw24

Holley 750. I can go up the hills in the pictures, its just when hill is a little steeper and longer I have to "coach" it.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

somewhere I read that someone turned there carb about backwards for going uphill /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Another thought might be to get a hand throttle cable that you can adjust. Might help. I have had the same pobs and just recently put a q jet on. I have yet to test it out though. Holley's are good carbs for wheelin IMO. Maybe try a Q jet. You could pick one up for about $50 at a pick and pull and another $25 will buy a rebuild kit /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Why mill it , drag racers have been doing it for years , and most mail order places stock something I am sure .

Or just get a good Quadrajet and call it done . My Q-jets don't stall , but the borrowed Edelbrock did , as soon as I get the throttle shafts fixed my second truck will get my original carb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. clarkjw24

So what your telling me is that when I sit my rig on the bumper a quad will still work?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So what your telling me is that when I sit my rig on the bumper a quad will still work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have seen adapters and spacers that already have a "wedge" shape,used mostly on marine motors--I think I saw them on T-D perfomance's website (Trans-Dapt)or try Carbs.com,they have a wide selection of spacers and adapters.I searched google for carb adapters back when I had the 250 six in my C10,but no one makes one to adapt a 4 barrell carb to a vari-jet base,so I made my own--it ran great for two years till it blew up! I was amazed at how many different adapters and spacers are available. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif