Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb ideas for and 86 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Mar 29, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Hey all:
    My 86 K5 has a rebuilt 350 in it and I've been having idle problems and my buddies are telling me that I need to get a new carb or rebuild it. I've also come to find out that I don't have many options being that I'm in Cali. Any ideas on where to get a new carb or rebuild kit for this one? Its a quadra jet. If you have any info. on cost, I would appreciate it too.
    Thanks in advacne,
    Chris

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rebuild your Q-jet or get an Edelbrock model 1904.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The problem with the 86 (same has mine and in CA also) is that it is computer controlled...I messed with mine threw 2 rebuilds and I had a mech. rebuild and never could get it right..There is a place down in LA that will rebuild yours for $250.00. I can't find the web site right now... But if you PM I will find it for you.. I have a Edelbrock on there right now.It will not pass smog with that. But I am going TBI..in a couple of months....Dan

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan, which edelbrock did you go with? And how did you disconnect the computer? Did you have to switch out your distributor also? How's it run and what kinda gas mileage do you get compared to the quad?

6. gokartergo

I think it was the 1406. Can't remember now..I did put the offroad kit in it,,,I like it a hell of a lot better then that Q-Jet.. I did replace the dist. And remove the ECR valve.. The only way I could get that stupid light to turn off was the pull it..I have 4.56 gears in it so my speedo is way off. Can't check MPG. I know everybody knocks these carbs.. But I can go up hills that I wouldn't even of thought of with that q-jet.And it probably was just mine..Dan

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 1406 is an electric choke, non emission, 600 cfm Edelbrock square bore.

Good luck running that in california.

8. Esteban86K5

Mine started to give me problems when it's cold about a year ago and just haven't got around to getting it rebuilt. I have never had a problem with angles with mine. It purs like a kitten at any angle. I was just wondering how much you had to change to do the conversion. I was debating doing the same thing. I think I may try getting it rebuilt one last time and then see how it goes from there. thanks

9. gokartergo

I'm in Ca and I am running it.. We have emissions test every 2 years.. That means I have a year and a half to get my TBI on..Dan

10. gokartergo

You can have mine..And try getting it rebuilt...We tried 3 times with no luck..Dan

11. Esteban86K5

WHAT AM I? YOUR SALVATION ARMY DAN? YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST GIVE ME ALL YOUR OLD JUNK AND BE DONE WITH IT?? DAMN!!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    btw still got those windows for me? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The only reason mine started acting up is because I was doing some engine work and took it off. ever since then I have had problems with it. So I think it's just a matter of getting it rebuilt and adjusted properly. thanks for the offer though.

12. gokartergo

If I remember right you can just by the choke kit for it... You have saved me a couple of trips to the dump.....LOL