Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb idles at 4500

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sburk340, Nov 11, 2002.

1. sburk340

sburk340 Registered Member

My carb. idles at about 4500-5000 rpms, and not sure why. I took off the air filter and put it back on, before that it was running fine. I'm not sure if I knocked any wires loose or what? If anyone knows what to do it would help me a lot. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif sburk302@yahoo.com

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

make sure your cruise control linkage from the carb to the intake diaphram isn't bound up.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i was gonna suggest the same thing...the rod on mine fell off on the highway, got hung up on a bracket and held the throttle open...kinda sucked

4. sburk340

sburk340 Registered Member

thanks a lot, it's dark so i can't see it tonight, but i'll check in the mourning, thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If it's not the cruise linkage, check the butterflies themselves to see if they are stuck open (ie- something in there, busted return spring, ?). To "idle" at 4500-5000rpms /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sounds like the butterflies are stuck at darn near w.o.t. (wide open throttle)

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

also check to see if the air cleaner is not holding the accelerator pump or maybe the air cleaner is not fully seated