Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb / ignition question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ellero, May 4, 2007.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I have been told that teh computer controlled Q-jet sucks and I need to get a non computer controlled Q-jet. I did that. Before I change out the carb, what other things do I need to get to make the truck run right not that I will be getting rid of the computer stuff and where is the best place to get them?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you're just swapping carbs, they should change right over. I would rebuild the Q-jet before putting it on your truck and be prepared to tune it once its on there. Replace the fuel filter too.

3. ellero

ellero Registered Member

A friend of mine (a boat mechanic) said I might need to change out the distributor and ignition system too since there will be a lot of electronics disconnected when the carb is removed. Yes it is being rebuilt first. Is this true or will the stock electrical set up work right.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll need another distributor.

No, the CCC Q-jets don't suck, they are essentialy the same as any other Q-jet, except primary fuel metering is handled by a solenoid, and they have a TPS. The setup is as close to TBI as you can get without injectors. Has an O2 sensor and all. The CCC carbs suffer from the same problems any other Q-jet does, mainly wear and junk in the float bowl, carbon buildup, and the only real other problem that is exclusive to the CCC carb, the TPS.

If something is wrong in the system (like bad MAP sensor, etc) then of course it won't run right, and changing the cam or engine can cause problems, but that is no different than the fuel injection systems.