Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb / ignition question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ellero, May 4, 2007.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I have been told that the computer controlled Q-jet sucks and I need to get a non computer controlled Q-jet. I did that. Before I change out the carb, what other things do I need to get to make the truck run right not that I will be getting rid of the computer stuff and where is the best place to get them?

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IF you get rid of the feedback carb then you'll have to change the distributor to a non computer HEI. Both can be bought at any parts store, just order one for a late 70's blazer. Or the wrecking yard off of a blazer or light duty pickup.
    You will have to figure something for the lockup on the 700r4 since the computer won't be able to run it, several different kits around for doing this.
    Passing emissions may be a problem depending on how picky they are in your neck of the woods.
    If it were mine I'd look real close at converting over TBI, I think that'll be the best way to get around most of your problems and have the added benefit of not having to deal with a carb.

3. ellero

ellero Registered Member

Well I am moving to Georgia and they dont know what emissions checks are where I will be. Already have my GA plates. Also the tranny was swapped out for a t-350 with a 203 and part time kit. I broke my 700R4 in half. Oops.

4. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

re-use an old thread, hope no body minds.

I have a CA 85 blazer w/ all the nifty ideas GM thought to put on it. Problem is, I don't want any of it. Setting smog conversation aside, I'm looking to drop in a stock '78 q-jet with matching distributor. I'll find a drivers side exhaust manifold from a truck to delete the O2 sensor. Passenger side is cracked anyway. I already have gauges from a late 70's p/u with tach and no engine light. Truck comes with cat and stays with cat. As far as the 700r4 goes, what will need to be modified etc to get it to work? EX: Shift cable, kickdown, etc? Will changing these pieces mess with my gauges or any other wiring that might be tied into the missing parts? Thanks for any help cause I'm about out of searched thread. (PS) just bought truck, what a mess

[​IMG]