Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb/ignition tuning help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

So I've had to blow the dust out of my head that covers carb and ignition tuning.

My 85 350/465 blazer with a CCC dist and non computer controlled Q-jet (vintage/model unknown) needs to have some adjustments. I have a few questions.

Pretty sure that the vacuum advance should not be connected to manifold vacuum, or should it? It seems to be working correctly if it should be connected manifold vacuum. BTW, the Dist had been jumpered to run like a normal HEI.

Also, I'm 100% sure that I have a mismatched balancer/timing pointer tab. It appears I have small 6-6 3/4 inch balancer and a big 7-8 inch timing pointer tab. Any Ideas on how to make what I have work, or just go buy the right balancer?

Any tips on I.D'ing Q-jets? Would love to rebuild this one and looks like it's a manual choke (blocked open), so I'd love to add an electric choke or just add a choke cable.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I.D'ed carb.

It's a 7044213DK

Which translates to a 1974 49-state, Chevrolet with a Manual.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be difficult to put an electric choke on that, but you can try. Some of the carbs are simply not setup to take an electric choke, which means they won't just bolt on.

Vacuum advance can be hooked up wherever it runs best. Manifold vacuum provides high advance at idle, which typically provides for a better idle. Typically also harder on emissions though too, which is why later MOST light duty apps were ported vac.