Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb is stuck - runs like crap..but has a fuse???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 20, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

My carb is stuck closed, even when it warms up-- it will open if I manually flip the little switch thingy...but I have a screw the switch now to keep it open, so it will run...it almost didn't make it up my hill..poor girl, gagged herself...

I was checking out my fuse box today- my horn doesn't work either..and found a fuse for the choke..says suppose to be a 20 amp. but has a 10 in it. Could the smaller fuse be causing it to not close/open properly? Before I go doing some major overhaul, I thought you guys might know.

thanks!
    Brandy

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes replace the fuse with the proper size fuse. Your carb has an electric choke. It has a heating element inside the round choke pod on the side of the carb that can draw quite a few amps. The choke wont open automaticly without getting power to it. You also might want to make sure there are no shorts in the circut.
    If it still dosn't work after replacing the fuse. You may need to get a new element. Sometimes they break in two and short out aganst the metal sides of the choke pod.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Or you can zip ties the choke open, then you will never have to worry about it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Thats what I did.

Dan

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Or take the choke plate out completely. Did this on the Holley I had on my hot rod Mustang. When it was real cold out I'd have to hold the throtle open till the motor warmed up. To start it in the cold would just give it about shots of gas and it'd fire right up. On Holleys their flow rating was without a choke plate so a 600 cfm Holley only flowed that without the choke plate installed.