Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sanjoseblazer, Apr 15, 2002.

1. sanjoseblazer

sanjoseblazer Registered Member

have an '85 full size blazer and having issues with my carb, want to know if i can replace it with an aftermarket one?? i've been told by several tech guys that i cant. by the way it runs very rich and was told it leaks a little of gas. sorry not a mechanic. just a guy trying to get his rig ready for the summer.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Before you just go and replace your carb, why don't you give us an idea of what's wrong? A list of symptoms might help us troubleshoot a bit.....

And take couple of sconds and fill out your profile a bit. We have abunch of members in CA who might live right around the corner from you!!!! Your profile info helps us help you./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. sanjoseblazer

thanks i added the problems, by the way it runs rich and leaks a little bit of gas from the carb.

4. Can Can

Don't feel bad, brother, I'm not a mechanic either/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif. If you have a stock quadrajet carb, there are adjustment screws on the front of the body that allows you to adjust how rich the motor runs. Where is the leak coming from? Is it leaking to the outside of the carb or have you been told it's an internal leak?

5. sanjoseblazer

been told its an internal leak, that i need a new one or rebuild the one i have, if i can take advantage of getting a new one that will work great. i was told they dont make one that will work on my truck, i have 3 electrical plugs into my carb.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Q-jets often leak out the plugs in the bottom of the float bowl. If the leak is bad enough the intake vacume would suck fuel out the bottom of the carb making it run rich. The way to solve it is to epoxy the plugs so they don't leak...someone might have some pics...I have yet to rebuild my carb.

7. sanjoseblazer

thanks i'll take a look and check on it. what do you recomend to plug up the leak if thats what it is??

8. Can Can

JBWeld works wonders for sealing up the well plugs.....

9. sanjoseblazer

thanks i appreciate the advice.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'd say rebuild what you have. The Q-jet is a pretty good off-road carb. I think my last rebuild kit (Before I went Fuel injection) was around $25. Look on the side of the carb where your throttle linkage connects and you should see some numbers. Give these numbers to the people at the parts store and they should be able to hook you up with the right kit. The kit should also have an exploded view of the carb to help rebuild it. The two screws on the front only affect the idle mixture so it sound like you are leaking on the inside (the carb not you). Good luck.

11. sanjoseblazer

thanks buddy, looks like that is going to be my best bet with the prices i've been qouted doing it myself would be lots cheaper.

thanks again